Predator Helios 16 keyboard back light keeps turning off after boot

Options
alien3100bc
alien3100bc Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited April 2023 in Predator Laptops

Keyboard backlight turns off after Windows start up. Before I had an issue with the backlight only if windows store was updating Predator Sense. I had to cancel updates.
After I tried to update again, backlight stopped working and unistalling/reinstalling doesn't work anymore.

When the laptop boots, the backlight works (lightning effect) but stops working right after windows starts up. It randomly worked once and turned off again after a reboot.

Any ideas?

Predator Helios 16

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,512 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023
    Options

Six suggestions to try:

• Press function key (Fn) + F9 to turn the lighting on or off
    • Go to Acer support site, download the Quick Access App, then go to Programs and uninstall Acer Quick access App, then install the downloaded file.
    • Install synaptics HID device driver, then uninstall keyboard and touchpad driver and reboot
    • Use the Predator Sense app. It is accessed by the Predator key to the right of backspace. Once the app is opened look to the left menu for LIGHTING. Then just to the right under the keyboard illustration there are four zones that key be modified to your taste. There are some predefined lighting profiles within this app. Try the default settings instead of custom.
    • If you open Predator Sense, there should be a little gear shape (universal settings button) on the top right. In the settings it will say 'backlight turn off after 30 secs', turn that off.
    • BIOS, look for something like Keyboard light timeout and disable it. Restart, and you're good to go. While using battery, acts exactly like before (In 30 secs turns off to save battery) and plugged in, it NEVER turns off. Older BIOS version (1.20) has the option but later versions not.

• alien3100bc

Tinkerer

edited March 7
    Options

Hey Puraw,

Thank you for your answer but unfortunately it looks like it's an issue with the software.

Yesterday it worked after one more unistallation /reinstallation, but today I opened my laptop and it doesn't work again.

I think that Acer needs to run some troubleshooting and provide an update for Predator Sense.

Thanks

• alien3100bc

Tinkerer

Options

the keyboard backlight works on default (rain effect all the time and turn off every 30sec) when I unistall Predator Sense. Right after the Predator Sense is installed, the backlight goes off in Windows. Also Predator Sense don't get properly installed when running just the setup.exe from the downloaded software folder. I need to run also the UWP file to make Windows recognize the app. Then the app finds an update which runs through the Windows App store (with multiple lags during the installation of the update).

• alien3100bc

Tinkerer

Options

I found that Windows are stopping AcerLightingService. I'm not sure if it could be a future fix in a future Predator Sense update so it would prevent from happening.
    Thanks! :)

• N02072023
    N02072023 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi,

So I still have that problem with the Acer Lighting Service stopping on its own after a few seconds, keeping me from changing the keyboard backlight settings.

It's been a few months now, how is it still not fixed ?

Did someone find a solution, by any chance ?

Thank you !

• IMightBeChad
    IMightBeChad Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2023
    Options

Also came to say I'm having the same issue. I first had to update the Predator sense app through Windows store which is annoying. My Helios 16 keyboard will do blue raindrops during windows startup but then change to static blue by the time the desktop is up. In predator sense, none of the other effects work. Just static blue. When I go to task manager>services AcerLightingService is stopped. SOMETIMES if I start it, that works. Sometimes AcerLightingService will immediately stop again after I start it.

• Xancius
    Xancius Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Can confirm this is still a thing, seems to happen when you have peripherals with RGB connected. Starting without anything connected the Acer lighting service works fine. One thing i've found i can do is just start the service for a sec, put on whatever lighting i want and then when it stops again the set lighting still is on. Would like to see a fix.

• TimmyLee
    TimmyLee Member Posts: 120 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

F9 turns on Airplane mode in Predator Sense. I finally got my Sense all working except no lights on the keyboard… the simulated keyboard in Sense is all lit up!

• TimmyLee
    Options

My Acer lighting service is always running but no keyboard lights any longer.

• AbsolutZeroGI
    AbsolutZeroGI Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I have the same problem as you, and if was caused by my Corsair mouse being plugged in at boot.

For me, the solution was to unplug the mouse until it booted to windows and then plug it back in. You can also buy a USB hub with on/off switches, plug the mouse into it, and turn the switch off, boot, and then turn the switch on.

The firmware for this laptop is absolutely garbage. There's a reason these laptops are so cheap.

• TimmyLee
    Options

Yep, either some kind of conflict or perhaps since SENSE is working now and it's showing the keyboard is working (but it's not) maybe a hardware issue with the keyboard lights. I'm gonna give it a month, troubleshoot it when I can and send it back as a last resort. I mean lights are not a huge deal, it's just that they SHOULD work and DID.

• TimmyLee
    Options

I never found a way to install predatorsense from Microsoft store… but I did find a new predatorsense app for the PHN16-72, (mine is Acer Predator PHN16-7173LT) But I downloaded and installed it anyway and overlooked a few warning messages and my SENSE App works great now! Just no keyboard lighting. Looking at the lighting in the app you'd think it was working great by the graphics but nothing.Tried it with the Windows Lighting Mgmt thing and without, nothing either way

• esepulveda45
    esepulveda45 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

1 search for services and open services app.

2 right click Acer lightning services.

3 click on the recovery tab

4 change first, second, and subsequent failures options to (restart the service) and apply.

5 restart acer lightning service.

6 restart pc and enjoy
    It took me a little while to work out how to stop it but its pretty simple once you know what to do so no big deal if you looking into this computers. I've experienced no further issues.

• TimmyLee
    Options

It's interesting how it seems to effect everyone different, definitely buggy. I boot with nothing plugged in and still no lights.