Why will my Nitro 5 AN515-44 suddenly not turn on?

Options
MankoBranko
MankoBranko Member Posts: 4 New User

I have returned to my laptop after a couple of days of being away to find it wont turn on. This is extremely unusual.

I have had the machine since December '21 and have had no issues with the power or charging etc. I went to turn it on, expecting it to have some charge, but it wont start. No blue light comes on.
I plug the charger in and the organe charge light shows, and at this point in previous circumstances if my machine had lost charge, plugging the cable in would mean it would start pretty much immediately. However, with the cable inserted properly and the range charge light on, and leaving it like this for 15/20 minutes, I tried to power on my laptop again, but again no response and no blue light.

What could have caused this? I see no reason for this to have happened in the 2 days since I latused it. I will have shut down the machine after I last used it rater than let it go idle.

Thanks,

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,770 Pathfinder
    Options

@MankoBranko

Remove the charger, make sure no light is glowing on the laptop.

Than press and hold the power button for 30 seconds , than connect the charger and turn on the laptop

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • MankoBranko
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi Jack22, thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I have tried this but to no avail.

Looking around at other answers to simlar questions, I have found the power drain suggestion, which I am currently trying. My machine has no removable battery and no pinhole to reset the battery so I am trying the "Hold power button for one minute whilst unplugged, leave unplugged for 30 mins, plug in and fully charge" method as suggested elsewhere.

Fingers crossed this is my issue.

• MankoBranko
    Options

I followed the instructions laid out here (en/discussion/658922/my-acer-nitro-5-laptop-will-not-turn-on) to bleed and reset the battery (held the power button down, waited 30 mins, charged fully then power on) but there is still no response from my power button.

The machine is now fully charged and displaying the blue full charge light. Previously it was only orange so it seems both the cables and potentially the battery are okay if its able to charge fully.

I cant think of any reason why the machine would simply not respond to the power button being pressed.

Any other advice would be appreciated

• Lextersmith
    Lextersmith Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options

1.You may try to open back cover, disconnect battery for a few minutes(after that, push Start button for 30 seconds, to discharge capacitors on motherboard), and reconnect it back. There is no Reset button for our model, so this is the only option to hard reset our laptop. Be aware that this action may void warranty.

My Nitro 5 AN515-44 laptop self-discharged till no boot state once. But few minutes of charging helped it to start. You may have a motherboard glitch or your battery may be deeply discharged (till battery controller shut down and charges no more). At least my battery has self discharge rate of 1,5% per day and i need to charge it at least once per month.

2. !!!! Next part is on your own risk !!!! Only if you know what mutimeter is and how to check voltage. ) You may damage battery!

While AP18E8M battery is disconnected, you may check it`s voltage (you`re gonna need a multimeter and a piece of wire).

Connect Black and Orange contacts of battery with piece of wire(to enable controller of battery).

Check voltage on Black(-) and Red(+). It has to be 15+ volts. If it shows 0 volt, controller of your battery is locked, and you need a new battery.

• MankoBranko
    Options

Thanks for the reply @Lextersmith . I'll hold off on trying that, or more likely getting someone else to try it. I got the machine off Amazon who said I have a 2 year warrenty but Acer are saying its only 1 because I didnt get it directlly from Acer, so are refusing to fix or replace. I'll just get Amazon to sort me a new one hopefully.

Annoying problem to suddenly happen after not even 18 months. Reading this board it seems like a common problem too. I wish manufacturers would make battery replacement cheaper and easier.

If Amazon do replace mine and Im able to keep this faulty machine I'll definitely try and fix it, though.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,667 Trailblazer
    Options

In the absence of a pinhole you really have to open your laptop to disconnect the battery, then press the power button for 2 minutes, wait a few minutes and leave the battery disconnected, plug in the power adapter and see if it will start without a battery. If that works it would indicate a battery or wire connector issue. Then connect you battery cable back to the motherboard and try to start, if that works you had a static buildup issue that you managed to drain.