My UBTService.exe constantly fails. What can I do about it?

Options
Speedlearner
Speedlearner Member Posts: 3 New User

I opened the event viewer and I constantly receive errors for the ubtservice.exe file. It's slowing down my computer. What can I do about this?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options

That service is part of the Acer UEIP Framework, or User Experience Improvement Platform. Since it's running in the background you must have left it checked when setting up your machine at the beginning. It monitors your usage and helps to keep things optimized to match what you do. It shouldn't slow your system down much, but you can always just turn it back off. What errors do you see in Event Viewer associated with the service?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Speedlearner
    Options

Id = {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}; ClientMachine = DESKTOP-L8FKPV2; User = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM; ClientProcessId = 12108; Component = Unknown; Operation = Start IWbemServices::CreateInstanceEnum - root\WMI : WmiMonitorBrightness; ResultCode = 0x80041032; PossibleCause = Throttling Idle Tasks, refer to CIMOM regkey: ArbTaskMaxIdle

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options

So it's trying to drop the screen brightness level to save on battery… It doesn't look like UBTService itself is the issue, but the way that WMI is initialized in order to do the brightness change. What else are you doing when the events are recorded? Here's what MS says about it:

These are the two possible scenarios:

• When the task is canceled, an event ID 5858 is logged in the WMI-Activity/Operational log with the possible cause "Throttling Idle Tasks, refer to CIMOM regkey: ArbTaskMaxIdle."
    • WMI service will start the cleanup process that cancels queries, enumerations, or ESS tasks/requests that hold memory in Winmgmt. When this cleanup occurs, an event ID 5858 is logged in the WMI-Activity/Operational log with the possible cause "Throttling Idle/stack Tasks in hitting Max Memory quota."

You could always just stop sending user experience data to Acer, but I expect that will just result in some other task showing the behavior.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Speedlearner
    Options

I finally switched off the Acer experience. I decided that it was bad enough that Microsoft knows what I'm doing. Why should Acer know just as much as Microsoft. The performace of my computer improved greatly. This Acer experience program begins when I start my computer. It was further complicated when Microsoft thrusted yet another update in my computer. If the problem persists, I will delete the program. If I receive any more errors, I will let you know.