What memory upgrade options for Predator Helios 16/18 .what NVME SSD can install in second slot.

Options
m1sterd
m1sterd Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hi All,

Just received my Predator Helios 16 but it came with 16GB DDR 5600 (2 x 8GB's), they also sell the laptop with 32GB memory but not available, I can't seem to find any Acer documentation regarding what memory is compatible and what NVME SSD I can install in the second slot, or actually for that matter, will opening the laptop up (UK) to change the memory and add an extra SSD void the warranty? Again I cant find any information from Acer specifying thisclearly.

Any help much appreciated, loving the laptop so far, just need a bit more memory.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• m1sterd
    Options

Update to my previous post, I contacted my regional Acer support team as suggested and they said it was fine to upgrade memory and NVME SSD's, so based on that I got the following:

32GB (2x16GB) Kingston FURY Impact DDR5 CL40 1.1v 5600MT/s

Kingston NVME Gen 4 500GB SSD NV2

After replacing them the laptop failed to display anything on the screen, I took out the SSD and after rebooting a couple more times it booted into the BIOS after pressing F2 and I could see the extra memory, I then put the second SSD in and this also showed up.

My one concern is that the memory is only showing in the BIOS as 4800MT/s rather than the rated 5600MT/s, and there doesnt appear to be any way to change this in the BIOS, any ideas on how I can change this?.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,118 Trailblazer
    Options

Could you please post the model of the CPU in your laptop, if you have a i7 CPU the frequency will be limitted to 4800MHz.

• m1sterd
    edited April 2023
    Options

The CPU is the 13900HX

The original memory showed up as 5600MT/s and they also sell the laptop as a 32GB option that I believe is 5600MT/s, this is my first device with DDR5 but in all other systems I have been able to specify the speed or select one of the memory module xmp defined profiles.

Do you know where I can we post suggestions where Acer would possibly be listening? I would like the CPU/cache undervti g to be unlocked, it seems that many manufacturers of 13900HX processors are allowing this.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,118 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, unfortunately, there are no settings available to enable XMP, you can contact Acer Support centre in your region and submit suggestions.

https://www.acer.com/us-en/languages

• Whamy22
    Whamy22 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Remove the battery, Make sure you slotted the ram well. Push it at an 45angle before pressing down. When you boot it really takes about a minute or couple restarts before showing display. If still perist do it all again but reset the bios by removing the cmos battery for at least 5 second and press power button to drain excess charge

• m1sterd
    edited May 2023
    Options

I installed the RAM and a second M2 NVME SSD but as mentioned above, the RAM only shows as running at 4800MT/s rather than the XMP rated speed of 5600MT/s, I contacted Acer support/help explaining/asking 2 things, that there isnt a BIOS option to select the XMP profile option and that the laptop is sold as one of the fastest gaming laptops yet they don't provide the ability in the BIOS to unlock cpu undervolting (13900HX), then to add context I said I want the undervolting option as many manufacturers are supporting this to possibly achieve a longer battery life when not gaming. They completely ignored my actual BIOS enhancement questioned and just said they can't provide an extended battery. I will try asking again but as this is my first experiance with Acer support I am a little worried.

• Whamy22
    Whamy22 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

I have the same experience. running 4800 instead of 5600. I hope They will enable it in the future bios update

• Shirish_Ranjit
    Shirish_Ranjit Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Same issue with mine as well. got new ram of 5600 mhz but it only registers it as 4800 MHZ. Hope you guys look into it.

• m1sterd
    Options

it’s working out how to ask Acer for a firmware update, I would like to be able to select the RAM speed from the available RAM XMP and also have the ability to unlock the undervolting as they allow on other Acer laptops

• Shirish_Ranjit
    Shirish_Ranjit Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
  • m1sterd
    edited June 2023
    Options

My RAM which is “32GB (2x16GB) Kingston FURY Impact DDR5 CL40 1.1v 5600MT/s” has multiple 5600MT/s XMP profiles, but the Acer doesn’t give you any option to select anything, it just decides to pick 4800, and there isn’t an approved memory list, so ideally Acer would just give an XMP option to it can read the XMP from the memory and allow the user to select one, as many other manufacturers do, and is pretty industry standard.

• Ziki
    Ziki Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2023
    Options

UPDATE your BIOS

Go to acer website and go to support tab and look for your laptop model.

it will increase to 5200mhz, I guess acer have problem with kingston 5600mhz.

• Aitish
    Aitish Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Just wanted to put this out here in case people are worried the same way i was. Kingston 5600mhz ram does work now. Atleast for me with 1.16 bios it works just fine with the in-laptop 16gb ram

• DasDoomguy
    DasDoomguy Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Just bought this beast of a gaming laptop. intel core i9 with RTX 4080 and love it. Has Asus before and alien ware. The build quality on this is amazing and stays cooler than any other laptop.

BUT I wanted more memory and something with lower timings. I ended up on new egg and bought 32GB of DDR5 5600MHZ at 40-40-40 timing. Was between this and some kingston but since its ECC memory on Kingston wasnt sure how it would work with this system.

I have used GSkills over the years on PC builds I have done and have been rock solid. Was considering Samsung but after doing some research DD5 5600mhz is hit and miss. Liked Crucial but timings was too slow.

I opened up the laptop with t7 I believe and removed the old ramslots. I covered my new ones with heat shield simular to factory but just layed on top of the ram slots no wrapping around.

After a min or so for the system to recognize the new ram I went into the Bios and all good. Booted into windows and works great. About do play some MW3 and New world . If there is any updates I will post but wanted to share this

The ram model I bough is F5-5600S4040A16GX2-RS and uses HYNIX for the ram

FYI amazon has it as well but was over a week to ship and New egg got it to me in 2 days for $15.

ALSO UPDATE YOUR BIOS so it will support XMP and 5600mhz

Thanks hope this helps everyone and screenshot is attached

• CodeV
    CodeV Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Where you got 1.16 version? You have i7 or i9 CPU?

• CodeV
    CodeV Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Windows Update - Other drivers - Insyde
    Have now BIOS version INSYDE Corp. V1.16, 02.11.2023
    My Kingston 5600 DDR5 is still running at 4800, have i7 tho.

• theNowayfra
    theNowayfra Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hello fellows,

bought a Helios 18 (Model PH18-71-74ET) and wanted to upgrade the installed RAM from 2x 8GB to 2x 16GB. Since somebody here wrote he successfully upgraded his Helios 18 with GSkill RAM i bought 32 GB GSkill 4800 MHz with CL34 (Model F5-4800S3434A16GX2-RS).

Story short: the RAM didn't work. Put them in, started the Helios and the screen kept black. Waited 5 minutes, nothing. Then I disconnected the battery and also the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS (which i prior to this updated to the current version 1.16) and restarted - nothing, the screen kept black. I am now back with my old pre-installed Hyninx 16GB PC4800 CL40 and ask my self what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• theNowayfra
    theNowayfra Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

• - update -
    • as someone her wrote it might take a while for the Helios to calibrate the RAM (all while showing no information to the user) i put the GSkill back in, disconnected all batteries to reset the BIOS and gave it another try - and waited 3 hours - with no luck. So i guess RAM updates are a bit of a gamble with the Helios which at its price point shouldn't be a thing. Also as RAM nowadays follows standards like XMP it should make such incomptibilities a thing of the past. Obviously not, im a bit disappointed.

• mikeyjames
    mikeyjames Member Posts: 52 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

For anyone looking at this thread in future, I can confirm Samsung 4TB NVMe with OEM Heatsink fits and works fine in slot 2 on my Helios 18. Won't fit in slot 1 as a small motherboard component restricts the width and the Samsung heatsink makes the drive a little wider. I guess if desperate, you could shave a little off the side of the heatsink where the component is.

Cheers

Mick