Predator Helios 300 BIOS: F1 leads just to a black screen with a cursor

Options
Argumon
Argumon Member Posts: 23 Networker

I can enter my Helios BIOS with F2 and see the overview. But when I press F1 for settings, it just gives me a black screen with a cursor line in the top left corner.

This once worked. I did a BIOS update some months ago. I tested it, but cannot remember if I only saw the first overview screen or tried some settings with F1. So this could be a failed BIOS update.

I need to change a setting. What could I do now?

Best Answer

• Argumon
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK, got it fixed. The disk was wierd, it had 2 EFI-partitions. After cleaning up, the BIOS works again.
    BTW: when using F1, the black screen with a line cursor is shown for the fraction of a second, then the menu appears. Looks like it just got struck there because of the 2nd EFI-partiton.

@egydiocoelho : Many thanks for your help!

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Hello! Access the bios again and then press the f9 keys to restore and f10 to save. Afterwards, try accessing the bios again and check if the problem continues or not. If the black screen issue persists, try resetting the battery: disable fast startup in power options, turn off the computer, unplug the power adapter, press the power button for thirty seconds and leave the computer off for half an hour.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Argumon
    Options

Thanks egydiocoelho,

I tried F9, that not seem to help, but I tried F10, saved and rebooted. Same problem, so I will the other half of your hint. But how can I disable fast startup? I cannot change anything in the BIOS.

What I saw: above the BIOS version number (2.04), it reads 'Shipping mode'. Does this has any relevant meaning?

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023
    Options

Can you send a photo of the bios? The shipping mode is for the computer not to be turned on during transport, because of the internal battery. This mode is disabled the first time the user turns on the computer, as the power adapter needs to be connected:

About fast startup, see this:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Argumon
    Options

Here is my screenshot. I shut it down and pressed power for 30 sec. Should that give any feedback? I had not checked windows power settings before … that is now about 5 mins ago. Will try again with the power settings as you wrote.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Yes, shipping mode is enabled. This feature is disabled when you plug in the power adapter. Are you sure the power adapter is properly connected to the dcin jack?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Argumon
    Options

I tried to re-install the BIOS, but because there is no newer version, the installer quits. Is there anything else I could try? Or should I send it in for repaiar?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Are you sure the power adapter is properly connected to the dcin jack?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Check this information:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Argumon
    Options

Hm, it gets wierd. Today I entered BIOS with the power adapter, that came with the device. I had another one, that I used the laptop with, that had been advertised as original Acer … but maybe it is not that original.

When I now enter the BIOS, the Shipping Mode notification is gone. But now, I cannot get it back to shipping mode by following the documentation you sent me.

And I still get a black screen when pressing F1.

• Argumon
    Answer ✓
    Options

OK, got it fixed. The disk was wierd, it had 2 EFI-partitions. After cleaning up, the BIOS works again.
    BTW: when using F1, the black screen with a line cursor is shown for the fraction of a second, then the menu appears. Looks like it just got struck there because of the 2nd EFI-partiton.

@egydiocoelho : Many thanks for your help!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

It's a weird bug. However, I'm glad to have solved the problem.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Thileban
    Thileban Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I am facing a similar issue but My disk wasn't partitioned. I keep getting blank screen when I press F1 and I have to restart. I am confused what to do in this situation.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you tried restoring the bios settings by pressing the f9 key?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer