Acer A715-71G Wi-Fi Network Authentication keeps popping up

Options
ntelo
ntelo Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited April 2023 in Linux

I am able to connect to multiple Wi-FI networks with my Acer A715-71G-71R7, but I can't connect to my home Wi-Fi. Every time I select it in my Linux Mint distro, it fails to connect and a pop-up window opens, saying that Authentication is needed. The network password I am providing is 100% correct. The issue is also described by another user here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=2240307&hilit=authentication+required+wifi&sid=bad07c307b589bfc36e165767c35e6b6#p2240307

Is there something that doesn't work properly with Acer?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,992 Trailblazer
    Options

This is a very comon Intel card problem as their updates are very problamatic, if your A715-75G has the Intel Wi-Fi/BT card then only use the oem Acer Wireless LAN Driver Version:19.20.0.6 and the Bluetooth Driver Version:19.11.1639.649 or if you have the Atheros do the same, to do that do this:

-Go to Device Manager
    -Expand the Network Adapters
    -Look for the Wireless driver that was installed
    -Right click and Update
    -Look for "Browse my computer for driver
    -Let me pick drivers available drivers
    -Choose an old driver and use it.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,546 Trailblazer
    Options

@ntelo

A common network security (protocol) issue, IMO nothing to do with Acer hardware or software. I suspect a protocol setting on your router and ISP, Enable DHCP server, perhaps change the 802.11 Mode, Protocol PAP?, Security type WPA2-Personal, etc.

• ntelo

Tinkerer

Options

@Puraw

Hey there and thanks for answering.

Could you be more specific? What exactly should I try? I already use WPA2-Personal, and I have already tried out all the possible 802.11 modes.

• ntelo

Tinkerer

edited April 2023
    Options

@StevenGen

This is my network hardware info:
    Network:
    Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
    vendor: Lite-On driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel bus-ID: 02:00.0
    IF: wlp2s0 state: up

Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000
    bus-ID: 03:00.1
    IF: enp3s0f1 state: down

I don't think it's connected to Intel. Am I wrong?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

No, it's not Intel. Acer used more than one vendor for the WiFi on those models. In your case you have the Qualcomm chipset and the driver is loaded already. It sounds like there's either an issue with what you are typing in as the password or something is getting garbled between the laptop and the router.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ntelo

Tinkerer

Options

@billsey
    The password is definitely correct. Could you guide me to solve the issue if it's the second posibility?

• Puraw
    Options

You wrote "I am able to connect to multiple Wi-FI networks with my Acer A715-71G-71R7" so the problem is not with your Acer laptop/network adapters but with your home router and ISP, can you connect to the internet with another PCs on that router? If other PCs are fine than check the handshaking between your laptop and router (protocol, security). If no one else can connect to that router get a new router from your ISP and follow the instructions from your Internet Service Provider how to hook it up and get online.

• ntelo

Tinkerer

Options

@Puraw

I can connect to my home Wi-Fi from 2 other laptops and from 2 smart phones. The Wi-Fi network works fine.

Can you guide me find the solution that lies in the protocol, security parts, as you mentioned in your message?

• Puraw
    Options

Handshaking as I call it is a trial and error process, read your ISP and router instructions and try different things, The last 20 years I have never had problems connecting (LTE-4G/3G) with Windows (laptops) or Androids (Samsung, IPhone) always automatic, before that yes it was often difficult (2G). There should be an Ethernet cable with your router, plug that in your WLAN port and play with that first, handshaking is easier with WLAN than WIFI.

• ntelo

Tinkerer

Options

@Puraw
    I can connect to the internet if I plug in the Ethernet cable in seconds. My problem is the establishment of a Wi-Fi connection with my home network.

• ntelo

Tinkerer

Options

I solved it by typing the BSSID and then trying to connect with it as a hidden network and it worked!