acer extensa Ralink 802.11n Wireless LAN Card blue screens my laptop now

Options
Octxel
Octxel Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited April 2023 in Legacy Desktops

wow who knew it was gonna be another Wi-Fi adapter related problem

The model of my laptop is an acer extensa 4230 and with windows 7 installed after vista didn't work.

So for context I tried downloading all the updates yesterday for win7 and today I downloaded the rest of the updates. but when downloading the rest all the updates failed including an update for the Wi-Fi adapter and my laptop bluescreened. *vineboom* I go to the windows updates and the updates are now gone like they were installed??. So THEN go to the device manager and the Wi-Fi adapter is disabled. So I click to enable it and it blue screens again, oh no. So I thought why not I just uninstall it? No it just blue screens shortly after. Again… so now I'm here with a laptop that can't go online anymore. Yes the Wi-Fi worked flawlessly before all the updates. I could surf the web and everything now I can't even do well… anything?

Sorry for the long paragraph but I have a picture of the blue screen to help find an answer

(If I had to guess it had to either be the update failing or the update didn't go through all the way)

WRONG CATEGORY IM BLIND

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,592 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi @Octxel what model do you have exactly?

AT4230

Aspire 4230

Extensa 4230

…..

While you answer or receive more answers, let me tell you that Windows 7 is discontinued and has stopped receiving updates since January 14, 2020, so correct operation of the devices is not guaranteed due to not having updated drivers. In addition, since it does not have recent security updates, it is vulnerable to infection by viruses and malware.

Thank you.

Greetings.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,599 Trailblazer
    Options

You wrote "Yes the Wi-Fi worked flawlessly before all the updates. I could surf the web and everything now I can't even do…." Why don't you just restore your system to an earlier date (before your W7 updates) and don't manually download these updates anymore. Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020, this means you can still use it but no longer receive updates.

• Octxel

Tinkerer

Options

I said it at the start of the post but the model is an extensa 4230

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Blue screen indicates Ralink driver is incompatible, please uninstall and reboot.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• Octxel

Tinkerer

Options

thats weird cause when i did it the first time it didn't wanna work AT ALL now today it just magically did it despite giving me an error and now the wifi is fixed

but i wanna have my laptop updated. should i just avoid that update for my driver or should i try it again

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

You should always keep your computer updated but through Windows Update.
    I don't recommend downloading drivers directly from device manufacturers but you can download drivers from Acer, but only if a device driver has a problem.
    Thank you.
    A cordial greeting.

X (Twitter)

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,599 Trailblazer
    Options

Glad to hear your WIFI is working. I recommend that you don't update your W7 drivers, as I stated before support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020, this means you can still use W7 but no longer receive updates. Manually downloading updates from vendors or 3rd parties is asking for trouble. You really should look for a new Windows11 laptop😀

• Octxel

Tinkerer

Options

i don't need a new laptop. i just have it cause it was given to me for free