Acer E1-571 taking long hours to boot No access to BIOS, no Acer logo, no error beeps.

JohnDoh
JohnDoh Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hi guys!

My old Acer E1-571 old i3 laptop is taking hours to boot. Meanwhile it stays with a blank screen. No access to BIOS, no Acer logo, no error beeps. It seems to be stuck on the POST, retrying, and retrying and retrying…

Once it boots it works perfectly, and if I suspend it, it resumes fine. As long I don't shut it down…

Since the screen's hinges were almost broken and it's keyboard was starting to malfunction, I decided to give is as almost dead and remove its motherboard, eventually to mount it externally in some other way. I have the board sitting outside on top of a wooden table (electrically isolated, of course!) connected to an external monitor, with its monitor, battery and keyboard removed. Just the minimal setup.

It's been months since I've last used it and now it took all night long and didn't boot. Honestly I don't know if it's the board or the CPU that died.

The motherboard appears to be phisically fine, with no signs of anything being burnt.

The BIOS' version is the last one, so it is updated.

The RAMs (2 x 4GB) are working fine, I've tested them on another computer.

I've removed the CMOS battery for about 15 minutes, nothing changes.

If I could least make a diagnostic to know what's damaged (the board or the CPU) I would get a replacement part, but I have no spare CPU to test. I've checked for a manual online but all the errors it states on troubleshooting are printed on the screen and I don't even get to it to turn on.

SYMPTOMS:

If I place a RAM on bank 1, it tries for some seconds and them automatically shuts down. The power LED from the power button lights up, the fan starts and some other LED on the board stays lit for a couple of seconds.

If I place RAMs on both banks, it can try to boot a few times and then shut down, or stays on a cycle that the fan spins, the power LED from the power button lights up, a LED on the board blinks, and after a few seconds it seems the system reboots, with the LED from the power button going out for a second and then the system tries again. Then the whole cycle repeats.

If I place a RAM on bank 0, it tries a similar loop like above with 2 RAMs, but it doesn't seem to make "system reboots", it seems like one continuous hours long loop. The LED from the power button stays on continously, the fan starts high and then slows down and spins for some seconds, then stops, and then resumes spinning on low revs, and some LED from the board keeps blinking.

I never get to see the screen turning on or showing the Acer logo, so I'm assuming it gets stuck on the POST. Yesterday it didn't boot and I haven't used this computer in months, but usually it kept doing this for some hours, booting eventually. And when it boots, it works happily and perfectly. Weird…

I've searched on pages and videos and tried almost anything and I have no clue of what might be wrong. Can anyone give me some hints on how to diagnose this? At least to get an idea if this could be a faulty motherboard or the CPU and to know if there's anything to be saved here or replaced eventually.

Any doubt, please just ask.

Many many thanks, guys!
B.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,001 Pathfinder

@JohnDoh

Try the below step and check

Open the "Settings" -> "Update & security" -> "Windows Update" and click "Check for updates". Install the update if it includes the fixes for bugs that caused Windows 10 slow boot.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,859 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023

I don't know which Aspire E1-571 you have as there are Legacy models or the UEFI bios models, which one do you have?

Anyway, the main reason for your slowness (as you seem to have all the right things done to this laptop and componenst and bios update) is the mechanical HDD that is on its way out and faulty, most of these laptops slowness is because of that, if you want to speed this laptop up 1000% upgrade the boot drive to a 2.5" SSD like the Samsung EVO 870. I've update allot of these old Aspire laptops and have a few of them like the Aspire 5750 and upgrading the mechanical drive to an SSD was night with the mechanical HDD to bright sunshine with the SSD boot drive.

Also, upgrade the slow i3 CPU to either the Core i5-3230M or the Core i7-3632QM / 2x 4GB DDR3-1600Mhz and a Samsung 870 EVO as and if you do that your laptop will work 1000% quicker and better.

NBM5711001 Motherboard for Acer Aspire E1-571, E1-571G V3-531G Q5WV1 LA-7912P with removable cpu, HM77 chipset

• JohnDoh

FFS… "Cans you" read and interpret text? The computer gets stuck in the POST. Once it boots it works perfectly. This is NOT an OS problem. It desn't even gets to the boot loader…

And who mentioned Windows 10???

No wonder you have thousands of replies, not fully reading and understanding what's written is a basic NO GO for tech support…

• JohnDoh

Thanks for replying.
    From memory I believe it's the UEFI model, I hate that ***** and always install the OSs in legacy mode. I don't need an extra partition just to install security keys. If they find a way to install a Minix OS in the Intel Management System they should find a way to install simple security keys somewhere too away from a partition that if it fails all the OSs on all the other drives fail too even if they have their own boot loaders... Less is more!

Yes spinning rust hard drives can slow down booting but that case doesn't apply here as this system has an SSD. And even without it I don't get any sort of OS not found error.

All I want is a minimalistic troubleshooting way of testing if the faulty part is the board or the CPU or a BIOS hickup. I'm not buying a replacement full board or doing upgrades without knowing what's bad. Buying a new CPU and then the failing is in the motherboard… That's a waste.

So, two questions come to my mind:

1. By the way, regarding POST passing. How little does this motherboard needs to pass it? For what I understand, with only the RAM and the power button hardware flat cable module and a single RAM module it should be able to boot. I'm assuming, for troubleshooting reasons, that it doesn't require the CMOS battery installed (but i have it), the keyboard, a HDD or SSD, or the internal screen (it's connected to a VGA one) or the extra USB flat cable module.

2. Also, another question regarding BIOS upgrade.

When the system managed to boot I've trying reinstalling the last version through Windows. It rebooted to text mode (not "DOS") and failed it in the end (detecting same (the last available) version eventually?) After this it kept on booting the same long way. So trying to upgrade did literally nothing, not good or bad.

I've seen somewhere that there is a way to update the BIOS from USB at POST, but the only available versions for this laptop are Windows ones. Or is there is a way to extract the needed files from the .EXE for the POST USB way? Please let me know if you know something about this.

By the way, the laptop is not booting any longer. It stayed overnight and nope…