acer one 10 S1003 Default boot device missing or boot failed .

Samer134
Samer134 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited April 2023 in Switch Series

I own an acer one 10 S1003 and I ran into a default boot Device missing or boot failed. The attached picture shows the problem. Please give me the solution to this problem🙏

[Edited the content to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator

Hello!!

@Samer134

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
    2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
    3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
    4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
    5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
    6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot
    7. In the Troubleshoot menu, select Advanced options.
    8. In the Advanced options menu, select UEFI Firmware Settings.
    9. Click Restart to restart the system and enter UEFI (BIOS).
    10. The Windows 8 boot menu will also show automatically after Windows 8 fails to start successfully three times.Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Regards,

LunaNova14

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,085 Trailblazer

If the method above fails you can try to reset your BIOS, press F2 while booting to enter BIOS and select Reset to factory setting, save settings on exit and reboot. If that fails also you can try to boot with a USB Recovery flash Drive, if you don't have one borrow the USB recovery drive from a friend with the same Windows version you have (if USB 3.0 use your USB 3.0 port, if you only have USB 2.0 ports look for a USB 2.0 Recovery drive). Once you managed to boot with the USB Recovery go to the Troubleshoot menu (Blue screen) and Advanced>Restore System or Reset this PC.

If all this fails you may have a HDD failure or a corrupted Boot sector on your HDD. Best to bring your laptop to Acer Service to reinstall OEM Windows10, Firmware and Acer drivers, they may charge a small service fee ($25).

• Samer134

Tinkerer

Do you mean there is a damaged piece? Or what! I didn't understand Please help me urgently..

• Make sure the ssd is showing up in the bios info tab and upload a photo.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Samer134

Tinkerer

I don't know if this is the interface you mean or not

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Your S1003 model comes with a 32GB eMMC drive soldered to the motherboard. Typically eMMC drives do not last as long as the more expensive SSDs used in the high end systems. IIRC your system came out about six or seven years ago. It would be within expectations that the drive will have failed, and a failed drive gives you exactly those symptoms. If that is the case then there is no cost effective way to refurbish it, a drive replacement is abojut the same cost as a new motherboard… :(

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • It is possible to install windows on an external hard drive as well.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey

You likely need to do the diagnostics to verify that the drive is bad, as we suspect it is. If the drive is bad then the selection to use an external drive is really the only step forward, and it essentially converts your tablet into a desktop. If the drive is good then we just need to rebuild or reiinstall the OS.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Samer134

Tinkerer

Assume that the hard drive is damaged. I have a sandisk 32 gb external memory. How do I install Windows on it? And how can I be sure that the hard drive is really damaged or not?

• billsey

My guess is the Sandisk is a thumb drive and not an external HDD or SSD. The OS knows about thumb drives and doesn't allow the OS to load from them except in a certain way. With older OSes there was a Windows To Go environment that allowed booting from a thumb drive.

If you boot to a Windows install thumb drive, you can use the Repair option on the second screen to get to a command prompt. From there you can use diskpart to look at the drive. If the drive is good you will be able to see it, see all partitions and see all volumes, without errors. If it passes all that then use a second external drive and the command prompt to copy files off. If those work also then use the dskchk command to run a test on the drive to see if it finds any bad sectors or corrupted files.

• Samer134

Tinkerer

How do I bring up the interface to choose to open Windows from the external hard drive? Do you have a video tutorial to explain it?

• davidwarner007
    davidwarner007 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

The S1003 model you own includes a 32GB eMMC drive that is soldered to the motherboard. eMMC drives are typically not as durable as the more expensive SSDs found in high-end systems. Given that your system was released about six or seven years ago, it is possible that the drive has failed, resulting in the symptoms you are experiencing. Unfortunately, if this is the case, refurbishing the drive is not a cost-effective option, and replacing the drive would cost about the same as replacing the entire motherboard.

• billsey

Hmm, that looks familiar. :)

I don't have a video tutorial, but it looks like that are several out there. Search on "install windows on external hard drive".

• This video can help:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Samer134

Tinkerer

Are you sure that I can install Windows on an external HDD? Also, the interface of the bot differs from the attached video and does not have that option.. How can I operate it?

• Yes, you can install windows on an external hard drive. Just change the boot order in the bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Samer134

Tinkerer

How do I change the boot order in bios? Can you send a video tutorial or a screenshot of the same device, because the options are different from other Acer devices, and I searched on YouTube and did not find a way, please help me

• Can you send a picture of that tab?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Samer134

Tinkerer

It is the same tab that I have attached in the picture.