Swift X - charging inconsistent behavior I'm running into a strange charging issue.

NekoTelesto
NekoTelesto Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in Switch Series

Hi,

I'm running into a strange charging issue.

There are 2 wall outlets in the house in different rooms where the laptop won't charge/detect that it's plugged in. All other wall outlets work fine to charge it.

These 2 wall outlets work perfectly fine for any other device — phones/laptops/appliances. Not only that, if I use my macbook power adapter+thunberbolt cable and plug it into the Swift X usb-c port, it will charge normally at these wall outlets.

Is there something unique about the swift x power adapters that makes them extra finicky?

thanks!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,077 Trailblazer

The grounding (third pin on your adapter main plug) that is used for discharging static/stray currents on the MOBO, like the Ferrite Bead (called Choke) on the adapter DC cable to your laptop. These two are important items to start a laptop. In your case there may not be a proper grounding wire connected to some of the wall socket outlets. My 3 year old laptop won't even start with the adapter without a grounded wall socket. It seems that power supply issues for laptops become more critical after 3-4 years, possibly the capacitors on the MOBO deteriorate with time?

• NekoTelesto
    NekoTelesto Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for the info. Are you referring to the motherboard on the laptop? This computer is new, I just got it a few weeks ago.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,077 Trailblazer

Yes, the motherboard in your laptop may be older than the laptop itself but this static charge happens with brand new equipment too, hence all the precautions in computer rooms isolating/grounding floors/equipment, make sure you use properly grounded wall sockets for your power adapter and that the adapter cable with the plug to your laptop has a Ferrite Bead near the plug (the small round cylinder also called "choke"). Very dry environments seems to make static charges more common, not just Acer Laptops, any brand. Some (Lenovo) even have these Ferrite Beads on all their USB cables.😉

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

It's also possible the power supply design is set to not work if your outlet has neutral and hot reversed. That scenario is the only one I can think of where an outlet wouldn't work for your PSU but does work for others.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.