R13 and monitors Can I connect one through a USB-C docking station and another using the USB display

BriNova
BriNova Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in Chromebooks

Just read a post from 2020 that says "Spoke with Acer support. They confirmed this model does not support two external monitors.  It can only support the laptop itself and ONE external monitor."

Is that still the case? If so, why?

Can I connect one through a USB-C docking station and another using the USB displaylink adapter?How can I connect 2 external monitors to my R13 chromebook?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• BriNova
    edited March 2023

How can I connect my R13 to 2 external monitors?

Just read a post from 2020 that says "Spoke with Acer support. They confirmed this model does not support two external monitors.  It can only support the laptop itself and ONE external monitor."

Is that still the case? If so, why?

Can I connect one through a USB-C docking station and another using the USB displaylink adapter?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

You don't tell us what Chromebook model you have, other than the R13 which could be any of hundreds of different versions over the years. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like CBxxx-xxx-xxxx. IIRC the first R13 model was back in 2016 or so and that wouldn't have functions like DP Alt Mode on a USB-C port…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BriNova

Thanks for responding so quickly.

The model R13 I have is CB5-312T-K1TR - it is from 2016. I'm not sure what DP Alt Mode function is, but I can connect a monitor, using the HDMI port on the USB-C docking station. It works fine like that (extended display), but it drops / is overridden when I plug another monitor directly into the R13's HDMI port.

I would like to know if it is possible to:

1. disable the overriding function of the R13's HDMI port to allow 2 external monitors to connect as extended displays and/or
    2. connect a 2nd monitor, also extended display, using the R13's USB port and a USB to HDMI adapter. I think I read that a displaylink adapter would work for extended display, but do not want to buy one unless I can be certain it will work on my R13 model.

Thanks for your help!

• billsey

OK, your system does support Alt Mode on the USB-C port:

and also has the HDMI port. So it should be fairly easy to get two monitors working, in additin to the laptop screen. You can't put two monitors on the HDMI port unless you want both the display exactly the same thing, using a splitter. You want to put one monitor on the HDMI and another on the USB-C using a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BriNova

I connected via both the docking station in the UCB-C port and the R13s HDMI port - the issue is that the connection via the HDMI port seems to override the one via the UCB-C so only one monitor works at a time. I need them both to function at the same time.

How do I enable that?

• BriNova

Hi - does anybody have any insight into resolving this issue?

I have one monitor connected via the HDMI port and another on the USB-C using a USB-C to HDMI adapter - as billsey has also suggested.

The issue is that the monitor using the USB-C to HDMI adapter works fine (in extended display mode) until I plug in the 2nd monitor into the R13's HDMI port, from which time only the 2nd monitor works and the 1st monitor shuts down. Is there something I need to do to disable the HDMI port overriding the USBC-B to HDMI adapter?

I have thought about using the R13's USB port and a USB-A to HDMI adapter, and ignoring the HDMI port altogether. I think I read that a displaylink adapter would work for extended display, but do not want to buy one unless I can be certain it will work on my R13 model.

Has anybody else had a similar experience and found a workable solution?

Many thanks!

• billsey

Try the USB-A to HDMI with the HDMI as second, that won't use Alt Mode. I can't think of any reason Google wouldn't support both the HDMI port and Alt Mode on the USB-C at the same time, but going without Alt Mode would bypass their restriction.

• BriNova

The USB-A to HDMI that works for Chromebook costs £50+ so that will have to be last resort :(

Is there a setting to enable/disable AltMode that I could try first?

Thanks again billsey.

• billsey

No, the hardware either supports it or doesn't support it.

• BriNova

Update - to close this thread —- successfully :)

I finally managed to get 2 monitors working in extended display mode by using the HDMI slot of the USB-C docking station ( AltMode) and a USB -A to HDMI adapter (StarTech USB 3.1 (USB-A/USB-C) to Dual HDMI adapter - 4k 30hz / 1080p), using the 4k HDMI slot. So by ignoring my ACER R13 Chromebook's HDMI port, and plugging the HDMI cables from each monitor into the 4k HDMI slots in the USC-C adapter and USB-A adapter, all is now well. It cost me over £50 but it works - though still no idea why it didn't work using the R13's HDMIport as one of the inputs.

Thanks especially to billsey in resolving this issue - a great forum!

• billsey

Glad I could help. :)