Just got an Acer Nitro 5 (3070Ti/12700H/1080p) and it idles at ~50C. Some games throttle on Ultra.

koloyus
koloyus Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in Nitro Gaming

As the title says, just got this laptop (AN515-58). Running Hogwarts Legacy at 1080p, with everything on Ultra and DLSS on Quality, makes the laptop throttle and therefore my game stutter. Unfortunately, the BIOS is locked, so no undervolting. It's running the defaults, and the processor ends up pulling ~1.3V+, that's a lot of heat to deal with.

However, if I push the fans all the way to the maximum, the problems go away, but you need some jetfighter headphones for that :)

Is this normal? I watched a lot of reviews for it, I even changed the rams to 2xR8x16GB 3200/CL20 stuff to get that extra oomph and ensure RAM is fine. However, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, for example, has no issues maintaining 60 FPS and doesn't even come close to throttling, but again, even on idle, the laptop definitely runs very hot. It sometimes ends up throttling while doing not much more than installing stuff and browisng.

I've checked all the settings - active cooling policy, NitroSense on "default", etc.

Should I send it back to have it checked?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,467 Trailblazer

»»the laptop definitely runs very hot»>

CPU temps less than ~90*C and GPU temps less than ~86*C, are OK under heavy gaming loads. Shouldn't be throttling at those temps unless battery charge level has dropped below about 50% level plugged in. At about 50% charge level, battery charging takes precedent over gaming loads and throttling will be noticeable..

Jack E/NJ

• paweljherman
    paweljherman Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2023

How hot exactly the CPU gets during Hogwarts? What's the CPU power usage and frequency during gameplay

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,467 Trailblazer

»»the laptop definitely runs very hot»>

CPU temps less than ~90*C and GPU temps less than ~86*C, are OK under heavy gaming loads. Shouldn't be throttling at those temps unless battery charge level has dropped below about 50% level plugged in. At about 50% charge level, battery charging takes precedent over gaming loads and throttling will be noticeable..

Jack E/NJ