How can an M2 undetected by the BIOS be detected by Windows? Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57

Options
2»

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Some ssds are not compatible with the vmd controller. Try this procedure:
    a) press windows+r, type msconfig, go to system startup, activate safeboot and then restart windows:

b) then, access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl+s and disable the vmd controller:

c) press f10 to save and exit. Afterwards, access the bios again and check if all ssds are showing up in the info tab.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Lordubu
    Lordubu Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options

Interesting suggestion.

I'm presently not in the same house as the laptop so it will take some days until I have access to it again.

I'll post any developments here.

Thank you

• Lordubu
    Options

Stupid question: why do I need to go through all the "safe boot" thing? Why can't I just go to the BIOS and disable the VMD controller?

Thanks

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options

Because safe boot loads the normal AHCI drivers after you disable VMD and exit the BIOS. Normal boot does NOT.

Do NOT attempt to disable VMD before you change the next boot cycle to safe boot or you risk corrupting the boot drive.

Jack E/NJ

• Lordubu
    Options

Thank you! I'm assuming enablig back VMD doesn't require any of that? You just go to the BIOS and enable it, right?

• JackE
    edited April 2023
    Options

Yes, normal boot should reload the VMD drivers. The keyword is should. But if it was mine, I'd keep it AHCI mode even if the 2.5" SSD still doesn't show up. Much less trouble and better compatibility in AHCI mode than Intel VMD or RST mode. Unless it keeps you up at night, you also might want to consider leaving well enough alone since Windows seems to recognize all the drives just fine.

Jack E/NJ

• Lordubu
    Options

The second M2 (500GB) I've installed (as well as the 2.5 SSD, also 500GB) were disks I had lying around in drawers. I've ordered a 2TB M2 so I'll have to open the laptop one more time (bad idea, I know). I'll use the occasion to fiddle with the 2.5 SSD connector, as advised by the YT guy who had the same problem of a disk not showing in the BIOS, and who says it was all down to fitting the connector properly. Let's see what happens then.

Lexar NM620 SSD 2TB, M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0BP1CPZLB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

OK! When you install the new 2TB ssd, don't forget to disconnect the lithium battery. Then re-upload a picture of the bios info tab.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Lordubu
    edited April 2023
    Options

My new M2 (Lexar 2TB) has arrived and I've opened the laptop for the third time (yes, I like to live dangerously!).
    a) I've swapped the 500GB M2 I had initially installed for the new Lexar 2TB M2
    b) I've disconnected and reconnected the 2.5" 500GB SSD that I had initially also installed, and which was not recognised by the BIOS (although it showed up in Win10)

The results:

1. all three disks are now recognised by the BIOS
    2. the BIOS has decided to change the order in which it shows the disks
    • the factory installed M2 is now HDD0 (it was previously HDD1)
    • the new 2TB M2 is now HDD1 (the 500GB M2 that was previously in the same slot was HDD2)
    • the previously undetected 2.5" 500GB SSD is now HDD2 (it was previously a vacant HDD0)

After these changes:
    The first time I started the laptop nothing happened
    I switched it off, restarted it, went to the boot menu and chose Windoes Boot
    The laptop then showed some of those questions that it shows when you install Windows from scratch (Do you want to connect to your phone? Do you want OneDrive? etc)
    My heart missed some beats as I thought it was somehow reinstalling Windows, but it only asked some five or six questions and then went into Win10, which was exactly as I had already installed it.

PROBLEM: The factory-installed M2 now runs at a temperature of between 44ºC and 48ºC when the laptop is IDLE... I think it was some 4-8 degrees cooler before these last changes. Which brings me to my other problem
    No NitroSense, no CoolBoost, no fan control
    a different thread that I have going on in the Acer Community Forum / Nitro And Aspire Gaming

• JackE
    Options

»>PROBLEM: The factory-installed M2 now runs at a temperature of between 44ºC and 48ºC when the laptop is IDLE»>I think it was some 4-8 degrees cooler before these last changes

Those aren't high temps. Ambient temps and laptop position can account for those variations. Seems good to me. We'll move back to your NitroSense issue thread.

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Now I suggest you be happy and enjoy your machine.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• loganpol
    loganpol Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Solid advice! AHCI mode does tend to offer better compatibility and fewer headaches. If everything's working smoothly in Windows with all drives recognized, it might indeed be a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' Keeping it simple often pays off in the long run. 👍