Issue with starting up laptop and laptop not booting up by only pressing the power key EX215-52-301E

Options
David500
David500 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

So recently my laptop is not booting up by only pressing the power key. I now have to press the power button, wait 3 seconds and then press another random key to make the laptop boot up. I really want to know why this is happening, and hopefully get some advice about the issue. The laptop is Acer extensa 15 that has an Intel core i3 10th gen. The power button works fine turning the laptop off and also works fine waking it from sleeping mode.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yeah, that's just an AI driven user trying to help without really understanding the question. :)

Your Extensa 215-52 has the power button bonded into the keyboard and uses the same cable between the keyboard and motherboard as the keyboard itself uses. One of the 'wires' in that cable is dedicated to the Power_On signal. If the connector that the cable connects to at the MB gets a little corroded you could see that symptom, as you could if there's a little corrosion or gunk between the keyboard layers. Have you had any spills? You can open it up and try reseating the cable a bunch of times to see if that clears it up. Under warranty Acer would have just replaced the keyboard… I am assuming you are no longer in warranty…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,419 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi @David500 can you tell me the exact model of the equipment and the version of the operating system? Thank you.
    Please check that you do not have sleep on shutdown enabled:
    control panel - power options - choose the behavior of the start / stop buttons
    Check the options.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator
    Options

Hello!!

@David500

(1) Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup.

(2) Shut down Windows normally. Unplug the charger.

(3) Insert and hold paperclip into reset pinhole on bottom for about a minute

(4) Plug charger back in but wait till battery charge LED turns from solid orange to solid blue

(5) Then turn machine on and immediately press the F2 key to enter BIOS menu. Press the F9 key to load defaults. Press F10 to save defaults and exit

(6) Window should now start normally

Regards,

LunaNova14

• David500

Tinkerer

Options

The exact model is EX215-52-301E. It's currently running windows 11 but the laptop has had the same issue running windows 10 and also Linux mint

• David500

Tinkerer

Options
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yeah, that's just an AI driven user trying to help without really understanding the question. :)

Your Extensa 215-52 has the power button bonded into the keyboard and uses the same cable between the keyboard and motherboard as the keyboard itself uses. One of the 'wires' in that cable is dedicated to the Power_On signal. If the connector that the cable connects to at the MB gets a little corroded you could see that symptom, as you could if there's a little corrosion or gunk between the keyboard layers. Have you had any spills? You can open it up and try reseating the cable a bunch of times to see if that clears it up. Under warranty Acer would have just replaced the keyboard… I am assuming you are no longer in warranty…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,419 Trailblazer
    Options

Do i check this? Thanks.

Please check that you do not have sleep on shutdown enabled:
    control panel - power options - choose the behavior of the start / stop buttons
    Check the options.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• David500

Tinkerer

Options

THANK YOU!! I found the cable and now the laptop works as normal!

• billsey
    Options

Great to hear that worked. Now you should think of why it failed and how often you should take it apart to clean. You might be in an environment with high humidity or the cable might not have been fully seated originally…