Keyboard is messed up - Aspire a515-43

Chalycap
Chalycap Member Posts: 2 New User

My laptop is an Aspire a515-43. Not sure what I did with the keyboard, but now the left shift is not working. The caps lock is working weirdly, and there are other small anomalies too. At one moment, things seemed to return to normal when I doubled tap the left shift key, but that didn't work anymore. Drivers are up to date. I had windows 10, then I changed to 11, thinking things would return to normal. I am out of ideas and need help, please.

Best Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,409 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chalycap try first please if the virtual keyboard works correctly, to activate it run:

Right click on the Windows prompt - Run
    OSK
    Or try a USB keyboard.
    Please tell me if they work correctly to find out if you have a physical or configuration or language problem.
    Thank you.
    Greetings.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,229 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chalycap

Try to reset possible remapping of your keyboard:

Open the Registry Editor by navigating to C:\Windows\regedit.exe in Windows Explorer. Once it is open, navigate here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout If there are entries named Scancode Map or Value Scancode Map, delete them. Those entries are what causes Windows to remap incoming key presses from the keyboard.

• farwaarubab
    farwaarubab Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓

If the keyboard on your Acer Aspire A515-43 laptop is not functioning properly or is completely messed up, there are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Restart the computer - Sometimes, a simple restart can fix keyboard issues. Save any unsaved work and then restart the laptop to see if the keyboard starts working normally again.
    2. Check for physical damage - If any of the keys on the keyboard are physically damaged or stuck, that could be causing the issue. Inspect the keyboard for any visible damage or debris that may be causing the problem.
    3. Update or reinstall keyboard drivers - Outdated or corrupt keyboard drivers can cause keyboard problems. Try updating or reinstalling the keyboard drivers from the Acer website to see if that fixes the problem.
    4. Use an external keyboard - If the laptop keyboard is not working at all, you can connect an external USB keyboard to the laptop and use that until you can fix or replace the laptop keyboard.
    5. Replace the keyboard - If none of the above steps work, the keyboard may need to be replaced. You can purchase a replacement keyboard from Acer or from a third-party supplier and replace it yourself or take it to a repair shop to have it replaced. https://stockaveragecalculator.org/

If the laptop is still under warranty, you may also want to contact Acer support for assistance with the keyboard issue.

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chalycap try first please if the virtual keyboard works correctly, to activate it run:

Right click on the Windows prompt - Run
    OSK
    Or try a USB keyboard.
    Please tell me if they work correctly to find out if you have a physical or configuration or language problem.
    Thank you.
    Greetings.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,229 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chalycap

Try to reset possible remapping of your keyboard:

Open the Registry Editor by navigating to C:\Windows\regedit.exe in Windows Explorer. Once it is open, navigate here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout If there are entries named Scancode Map or Value Scancode Map, delete them. Those entries are what causes Windows to remap incoming key presses from the keyboard.

• farwaarubab
    farwaarubab Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓

If the keyboard on your Acer Aspire A515-43 laptop is not functioning properly or is completely messed up, there are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Restart the computer - Sometimes, a simple restart can fix keyboard issues. Save any unsaved work and then restart the laptop to see if the keyboard starts working normally again.
    2. Check for physical damage - If any of the keys on the keyboard are physically damaged or stuck, that could be causing the issue. Inspect the keyboard for any visible damage or debris that may be causing the problem.
    3. Update or reinstall keyboard drivers - Outdated or corrupt keyboard drivers can cause keyboard problems. Try updating or reinstalling the keyboard drivers from the Acer website to see if that fixes the problem.
    4. Use an external keyboard - If the laptop keyboard is not working at all, you can connect an external USB keyboard to the laptop and use that until you can fix or replace the laptop keyboard.
    5. Replace the keyboard - If none of the above steps work, the keyboard may need to be replaced. You can purchase a replacement keyboard from Acer or from a third-party supplier and replace it yourself or take it to a repair shop to have it replaced. https://stockaveragecalculator.org/

If the laptop is still under warranty, you may also want to contact Acer support for assistance with the keyboard issue.

• Chalycap
    Chalycap Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi guys, thank you all for your kind responses.

@Alejandro_ac >> I tried the OSK, and I don’t see any issues; all good.

@Puraw >> I opened the register as you suggested, and there are none of those Scancode Map or Value Scancode Map

@farwaarubab >> drivers are updated and there are no physical damage.

• Alejandro_AC

Thank you for answering, in that case it could be a language configuration problem, I suppose you have a US keyboard and an English language, please check that the language and keyboard are correctly configured:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/manage-the-input-and-display-language-settings-in-windows-12a10cb4-8626-9b77-0ccb-5013e0c7c7a2#input_language

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/manage-display-language-settings-in-windows-219f28b0-9881-cd4c-75ca-dba919c52321

X (Twitter)