Aspire SW5-12 Bios Options locked I can't disable the secure boot or change anything.

Luxyyyy
Luxyyyy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in Switch Series

Hi there,

I have an Aspire SW5-12(running a 32-bit Windows 10). The trouble is that all the options in the bios are locked, I can't disable the secure boot or change anything, not even the supervisor password, I can change the user password only.
I would like to run a 32bits linux distro such as Ubuntu, booting from the USB device, but I need to turn the secure boot off.

My question is: is it safe to flash the BIOS ? cause I did my best to solve the issues regarding the options being locked but I give up… I tried everything under the sun but it does not work.
I found on ACER website for this model a soft named P0JAC2_BIOS_V1.10_A3.exe to flash the bios in aim to reset it all and then be able to set it myself.

Thanks for your help.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator

Hello!!

@Luxyyyy

To boot in USB ,boot in bios 
    1)boot in bios disable secure boot (if option is locked then set supervisor password to unlock)
    2)under boot menu change bios mode from UEFI TO LEGACY 
    3)under main tab enable F12 boot option 

Save and exit 
    Turn off laptop 
    Next time insert usb turn on your laptop keep pressing F12 to boot in USB

Regards;

LunaNova14

• Luxyyyy
    Luxyyyy Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi LunaNova14,

First of all, thank you for your kind response. The issue is that I just can't set the supervisor password to unlock, I can change the user password only, basically everything else that matters, is locked, the reason why I think about flashing the bios but I dont want to brick it if something goes wrong..
    I can boot on a usb drive but because of the secure boot most of the bootable linux usb stick I try to boot on, won't show up in the boot menu.

I'm facing the same issue as that gentleman regarding the bios itself :

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

I'm guessing you actually mean a SW5-012 model? Have you tried the "Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" option? If you add the efi file for the linux distribution there it should allow booting from the Linux installer.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi!!

• Restart the system into the BIOS.
    • Ensure the Boot Mode is set to EFI (or UEFI). This is found in the Boot Options menu.
    • Make sure that the USB Boot Priority is enabled.
    • Save the changes and exit.

Regards,

LunaNova14