Aspire 5 Aspire A515-47 - insanely loud cooling fan

Tomas_B
Tomas_B Member Posts: 4 New User
edited May 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hello. I just purchased a brand new Aspire 5 with Ryzen / Radeon, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. Even when not running anything remotely demanding of a CPU, the fan starts spinning and makes huge noise, as if I'm in a wind tunnel. I can only be copying files or playing a video, it just goes off like crazy at seemingly unimportant times. Is there any way to tone it down? Any help would be appreciated. 🙏

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Best Answer

• Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,226 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Hi Tomas_B ,

did you try this (exerpt from the user manual)?:

Kind regards

Jochen

Edit: Maybe you first have to change the keyboard behaviour from "Media key" to "function key" in the UEFI to get the "Fn + F" shortcut to work.

"There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)

Answers

• What is the exact model and bios version? Example AN515-55-5890.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited March 2023

What is the exact model Name? Example A5XX-XX-XXXX.

The latest BIOS version is installed? Open a command prompt as administrator and enter the following command: wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion.

Then open the Acer support site, enter your model name (example A515-56), search for the latest BIOS version and compare it with your version installed.

• Tomas_B

Hello and thanks for the tip, my BIOS verison is 1.03. The page also lists 1.04 so I suppose it'd be worth to replace the old one.

• Tomas_B

Hello, the model is Aspire A515-47. My BIOS version is 1.03. I should note that I just left the computer to run for about 45 minutes without doing anything on it and the fan still runs. I only had Chrome open, so there shouldn't be any reason for the computer to be overheating.

• Can you record a video of the problem before updating the bios?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kno63
    Kno63 ACE Posts: 15,226 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Hi Tomas_B ,

did you try this (exerpt from the user manual)?:

Kind regards

Jochen

Edit: Maybe you first have to change the keyboard behaviour from "Media key" to "function key" in the UEFI to get the "Fn + F" shortcut to work.

"There's more to the picture than meets the eye ..."
    Ich bin kein Acer Mitarbeiter!  :-)