Bios not detecting m.2 drive on Acer Aspire a315-54 8th gen cpu

PaulEnoch
PaulEnoch Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Short story

Acer aspire 315-54 8th gen m.2 drive not showing in bios.

Long Story

While I was using my laptop the other day, it just froze and shut down. I then tried rebooting it and it came up with a No Bootable device notice.

I then decided to create a bootable drive in hopes to reinstall windows but alas, my m.2 drive is not showing up the Bios and when I try to install windows.

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,418 Trailblazer

Hi @PaulEnoch waiting for more answers that can help in your query, If BIOS lost the SSD, it may be due to an electronic problem, try removing the SSD, cleaning the connectors and reinserting. Thank you.
    Greetings.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• PaulEnoch
    PaulEnoch Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello there Alejandro, hope you are well.

I did as you suggested but nothing progressive happened.

Thank you for your time.

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,418 Trailblazer

What is the installed version of Windows?
    I can't find an explanation why the disk stopped being recognized, before the problem, was some kind of modification made to the laptop?
    I created the Windows recovery unit by downloading from Microsoft Windows and mounting the USB with the tool provided on the same page?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10%20

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer

Just in addition to the above, as it could be that windows corrupted (which is very unusual) your Aspire A315-54 A315 IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver, and it needs to be reinstalled.

When you do the Clean Install of Win-10 or 11, before you start that, you need to download theAspire A315-54 IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver Version:17.5.1.1021 onto a separate USB and have it ready when the installation starts.

When you start the Win-10 or 11 installation bootable Rufus USB and when you get to this part of the Win-10 or 11 installation like the caption below, and you don't see the bootable M.2 drive go to “Load driver”and inset that USB with the IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver and install this driver, as this will recognise the boot drive and allow you to format the drive and continue the windows installation, as that is what the problem could be. If this does not fix yoiur problem then its your M.2 SSD boot drive that is faulty and you need to relace the M.2 SSD drive with a new one.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

It looks to me like the drive has failed. That unusual, but not unheard of. Your system supports both SATA and NVMe drives in that slot, so just pickup a replacement in whatever size you can afford and do a clean Windows install on it then restore your backup, if you have one.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.