I have a Predator X32 FP. How do I check the firmware version and how long does it take to update?

Options
Reseil
Reseil Member Posts: 4 New User

I recently purchased a Predator X32 FP. I've read that in order to bring all the functionality, I need to update the firmware. How do I check what version is factory installed and how long does the update process take?

Is there a way to update the firmware online or do I need to use the offline method?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options

To check version, try this

1. Turn monitor off.
    2. Press & hold the empowering button + Power button.
    3. Release the power button when the desktop appears
    4. Then immediately release & press the empowering button again.
    5. The firmware version shoulld be at the bottom of the screen.

The latest version, 2.00.010 can be found at this link. However, a firmware update is not recommended unless you find an issue that can't first be resolved by using the OSD or the Acer Display Widget.

Jack E/NJ

• Reseil
    Options

I found that article, but it was dated 2019.

What exactly is the “empowering button?" It's not labeled in the manual and there are 4 buttons besides power.

I read that 2.0 fw has a fix to the HDR settings, so that's a must.

• JackE
    Options

Try joystick+power instead. Another user reported that increasing the BlackBoost should help overcome some brightness issues among others at this link. I'm not sure if he's tried the 2.00.010 update yet.

Jack E/NJ

• Reseil
    Options

I started the fw update to 2.0 and during the 2nd part of the process it did not complete correctly and hung up. Powered it down and checked the fw version as 2.00, but no change to the OSD options. The factory screen also had a 3302FW: 20221212 085925 line to it, so maybe the fw did not flash correctly? Is there any harm in trying to reflash?

The date of the 2.0 fw is Jan of this year, so maybe the flash failed?

• JackE
    Options

The factory screen also had a 3302FW: 20221212

This suggests that you have a newer version already installed since the Jan 2023 version actually seems to be the Nov 22 version 20221130 according to the PDFs. I suggest not pressing your luck with the firmware and try to make the BlackBoost OSD etc or Acer Display Widget adjustments. If you're still not satisfied, I advise returning to the vendor as defective for a refund or exchange on another monitor.

Jack E/NJ

• Reseil
    Options

OK. I was on v 1.0 fw, so I dl'd the 2.0 fw. I followed the process exactly. This was the first time I'd had a device do a 2 part flash, and I've flashed my share of fw's before. The first part went flawlessly, but when I had to start the 2nd part of the process, unplugging power and plugging it back in, the flash “picked up” where it left off, or so I thought. It went for 45 minutes, so I figured it was hung.

Powered off, back on and it worked, so good start. Did the factory screen and the following popped up:

MST9U14RV4

Panel: M320QAN028

FW: v02.00.010

Checksum: 292F

Model Name: X32 FP

3302FW: 20221212 085925

Now flashing the fw seems to have made no difference and there are no “new features" in the OSD, so I question if I somehow interrupted the process after 45 minutes?

The version # makes it seem like the flash was successful. but what does 3302FW mean? 20221212 is not the date of the 2.0 fw, it's dated Jan of this year. Should I try flashing it again? I tried calling the support line to see if they knew anything, but I got the typical agent. She didn't even know there was fw for monitors.

There is no noticeable difference and the OSD doesn't seem to have changed. Is there any harm in trying to re-flash? I would like it to complete in the way the instructions say, that after second part “finishes completely, it will go to the factory screen," which it never did.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

2022 12 12 is likely the build date, Jan 23 is likely when it was released.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options

Should I try flashing it again?»»Is there any harm in trying to re-flash?»»

If it was mine, no. As suggested earlier, messing with firmware can brick the system. Try to make changes with the BlackBoost OSD etc or Acer Display Widget adjustments. If you're not satisfied, return the machine to the vendor as defective for a refund or exchange.

Jack E/NJ