USB-C PD Charging Very Slow on SFX14-42G why doesn't the laptop take a faster charge rate?

ASX123
ASX123 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

I was under the impression from reading online that I could charge my laptop via USB-C and not have to carry a bulky DC-in charger in my bag. I purchased an Anker model 735 GaNPrime 65W USB PD charger and a 10ft. 100W cable. According to Anker it can deliver 65W through one port, or split output through multiple ports.

What I have noticed is that the laptop doesn't seem to ask for much charging current:

Under normal web browsing it charges at anywhere from 1000mW-9000mW. However if I fire up a game the charge rate can shoot up past 35000mW. Under normal usage 35000mW would be plenty to charge the battery, even though this isn't nearly what the charger should be capable of. So why doesn't the laptop take a faster charge rate? I thought USB PD was supposed to make everything easy!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer

This is the oem SFX14-42G charger specs:

AC Input: 100V - 240V 1.5A 50-60Hz
    DC Output: 19.5V 3.42A 65W
    Connector size: 3.0*1.1mm

The Anker model 735 GaNPrime 65W USB PD charger at - One-Port Charging at 1x USB-C 2: 65W Max and at USB-A: 22.5W Max does charge the laptop but in a gaming mode when this laptop needs more power the Anker model 735 GaNPrime 65W charger is just not up to the task like thios laptops oem charger, as it must not have the 3.42A 65W output like the oem charger.

• ASX123

Tinkerer

Thank you for your response. This doesn't quite answer my question so let me try to reword what I meant. Under “normal usage” (web browsing, videos), I can see 1-10W charge rate, basically nothing. The charger should deliver 65W max. In monitoring my charge state I can observe that the charger delivers at least 35W to the laptop, but only when gaming. I understand that is not enough to play games. What I was trying to show was that the charger is capable of delivering much more power than the laptop is asking for under normal usage. Why does the charge rate drop so much under normal usage? If the laptop called for 35W the battery would charge plenty fast enough for me. Even better if I could get it to pull the full 65W as advertised.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

Your Anker should provide 65W at 20V in order to charge the system (only when you are only connecting the one device to it and don't have anything on either of the other two ports), that is less power than the stock charger (Adapter LITE-ON PA-1900-32A3 90W
    3PHY (1.1x3.0x7.7) Brick 19V/4.74A Black), but still enough to gain charge when not pulling full load. The GPU uses a lot of power when working hard, so I'd expect USB-C charging to just help things last longer, not gain in charge, when gaming. With most laptops gaming really wants you to start with a full charge and to run off AC for best results.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ASX123

Tinkerer

Again, we are in agreement here. My laptop is refusing to charge at anything higher than 10W while using the PC at low load. Why?

• ASX123

Tinkerer

Bump. If no one knows the answer: are there any other small size USB-C chargers that are known to work well with this laptop?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

You are going to have to use a charger that provides the full spec, and that likely means it's not going to be that small…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.