i'm trying to setup a GTX 1660 ti 6 gb from asus and the system doesn't sees it acer aspire atc-710.

Yabadabado
Yabadabado Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

This discussion was created from comments split from: ATC-710-UR53 - I can't see the BIOS/initial boot sequence on my monitor..

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Yabadabado

Tinkerer

i'm trying to setup a GTX 1660 ti 6 gb from asus and the system doesn't sees it ! i really don't understand these ACER computers …. !! i'vbe tried in legacy mode and nothing !

even my wifi card is not detected on WIN10

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

What computer do you have? Which power supply is installed in it? What OS are you running? You do know that when you put a GPU in the onboard video is disabled?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Yabadabado

Tinkerer

Hi. yes sure i know because before beeing a SysAdmin, i was an IT engineer.

acer aspire atc-710. i swapped the original psu with a 500w seasonic spare i had. win10 is installed on it. i even disabled secure boot, enabled CSM and seted up in legacy mode. still not working. i knew ACEr as bad quality 15-20 years ago but it's still the same as i can see …

• billsey

Secure boot, CSM and legacy all have little or nothing to do with recognition of a GPU in the x16 slot. The PSU should have plenty of power to driver a 1660. Do you have the 8 pin connector from the PSU connected to the card? It requires more power than the slot itself can provide. It's also possible ASUS has something specicial in their GPU firmware, but I'd think that unlikely.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RudySchmitz
    RudySchmitz Member Posts: 2 New User

I have seen previos discussions about this topic , and i am actually looking for an answer myself. The bios of many an acer desktop has the bios option to switch between ob-board and discreet graphics, but you can't for some reason. Just plugging in a card won't work. I have tried it in my acer aspire too. with several cards, ati and nvidea. And even when i make an admin account in the bios, it just will not let me touch it.

Any discussion about pci-e no need to be recognised in the bios because it runs under windows only is useless because the machine will not even boot sometimes when a card is insererted even when a surplus of power is delivered. 1000 watts over power should be plenty for a RT580 or a GTX1070 i'd say. So it is a matter of a bios programming issue in the motherboards of these desktops. I'm curious if anybody alredy has a solution for this.

• Yabadabado

Tinkerer

edited March 2023

i've got the impression that it's because a 1660 is pci 3,0 and the slot on the MB is pci 2,0

• billsey
    edited March 2023

PCI specs require support for back revs, so a PCIe 3 card plugged into a PCIe 3 slot is supposed to work, at the PCIe 2 timings. That's actually a moot point with your TC-710, since the x16 slot is PCIe 3.0.

• Yabadabado

Tinkerer

ok thank you. then i don't understanf why i can't install a gtx 1660 ti ! i checked the Bios, i tried many things ! i could update the intel GPU drivers to the latest drivers and so on ! but impossible to make my gtx 1660 available in device manager … i miss something …

• billsey

Are you positive the card itself is functional?

• Yabadabado

Tinkerer

Of course, i tested it back on my other computer where i use an rtx 3080. by the way, i'm a sysadmin.

• billsey

I'm pretty much stumped then. If the slot works with a different card and the card works with a different computer, there's no reason it shouldn't work in that slot, unless there's a power issue with not enough power to drive it. The 1660 doesn't need all that much though… There is nothing special at all with the PCIe x16 slot in your TC-710. The card should be recognized by the hardware during the intial steps in POST, at which point the onboard GPU should be disabled and the GPU card enabled. From there it should be working fully…

• Yabadabado

Tinkerer

the only option i see is that the pcie slot doesn't works ;(