I'm wondering about Upgrades possibilities? for Nitro 5 AN517-51-56YW?

Options
KibaNightingale
KibaNightingale Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in Nitro Gaming

so at this point my computer is out of warranty (fairly certain, its over 2 years old) im wondering about upgrade possibilities? My computer can barely run CIV 6 sometimes, or the new slime rancher 2. and even when it can its difficult to multitask. Not savvy in computers (Id like to learn though!) heard about this WD SN850X SSD apparently dropped in price, wonder if its compatible? and other recommended upgrades for this CPU? I've also constantly had battery issues where it stops charging, had it sent in atleast twice or 3 times, fix would only temporarily work then stop again. Any recommendations, maybe a better battery that holds a charge better? Althought the problem temporarily fixes itself if i disable the drivers and restart. any and all help would be appreciated!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The SN850x PCIe v4 NVMEs should be backward compatible with your PCIe v3 mainboard but performance won't be any better than the perhaps still cheaper SN720 v3 NVMEs.

Increasing RAM should seriously improve gaming performance. 16GB at a minimum. Preferrably 32GB max with two 16GB DDR4 sodimms if you can afford it.

It is normal for a battery to stop charging under high power loads when it sometimes must help the charger meet the power demands. A higher wattage power supply can address this issue.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure, the 1TB SN850x should work OK for $100. But the 1TB SN770 should work just as well for $60 if you can't find the SN720 Or the SN730, or SN740 or SN750 or etc. They're all about the same. Pick the cheapest one.

As for RAM, go to crucial dot com and run their scanner on your particular machine to see what RAM options/spec it recommends. Don't have to buy from them but they're very competitive and use top of the line micron chips in most of their sodimms.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

The SN850x PCIe v4 NVMEs should be backward compatible with your PCIe v3 mainboard but performance won't be any better than the perhaps still cheaper SN720 v3 NVMEs.

Increasing RAM should seriously improve gaming performance. 16GB at a minimum. Preferrably 32GB max with two 16GB DDR4 sodimms if you can afford it.

It is normal for a battery to stop charging under high power loads when it sometimes must help the charger meet the power demands. A higher wattage power supply can address this issue.

Jack E/NJ

• KibaNightingale
    KibaNightingale Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

you'd think it would atleast charge when im on just the home screen, however i will atleast try and time it, let it sit for 10-15 minutes and see if anything changes. thank you for the advice on the rest. I just got a WD SN850X for the PS5 actually lol, didnt realize it'd be compatible with my CPU as well. Would i be able to use it as my main drive? i tried looking for the SN720 but i cant find anything thats not on Ebay or used. it looks like for the Ram im showing less than 100 for 2 16 gigs, am i looking at the wrong thing? for reference im looking at Corsair Vengenance Soddim 16gb, selling for 36$ a piece on amazon.

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

Sure, the 1TB SN850x should work OK for $100. But the 1TB SN770 should work just as well for $60 if you can't find the SN720 Or the SN730, or SN740 or SN750 or etc. They're all about the same. Pick the cheapest one.

As for RAM, go to crucial dot com and run their scanner on your particular machine to see what RAM options/spec it recommends. Don't have to buy from them but they're very competitive and use top of the line micron chips in most of their sodimms.

Jack E/NJ