No Bootable Device message when I turn on Acer Spin 1SP111-33

Options
sunnyuc
sunnyuc Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited April 15 in Swift and Spin Series

“No Bootable Device” message comes up when I turn on my Acer Spin 1 (SP111-33) model - Windows 11.

Inside BIOS (F2):

1. No HDD showing in the BIOS
  2. Time & Date are right
  3. Only UEFI, NO Legacy option
  4. “Boot priority order” has no list of items to choose from
  5. Inside BIOS, to Load Default, I tried F9 and F10 but same message “No Bootable Device”

I tried also ALT+F10 keys but nothing happens - same message “No Bootable Device”

Please help me, much appreciate it.

(See Pictures of my BIOS):

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive content]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,555 Trailblazer
    Options

The emmc boot chip may have failed. It might be salvageable if you can boot from a Win10 or Win11installation USB by tapping the F12 key on startup.

Jack E/NJ

• sunnyuc

Tinkerer

Options

I booted from a Win11 installation USB but during the installation, it says, “We couldn't find any drives To get a storage driver, click Load driver.”

I tried to Load these drivers :

1) Intel Rapid Storage Techology drivers (IRST) but still NO drivers

2) F6flpy-x64 - VMD & F6flpy-x64 Non-VMD (Intel VMD drivers) but still NO drivers.

(See Picture - I CANNOT pass this stage) :

• JackE
    Options

Sorry. This confirms that the boot chip has failed. It is usually not considered replaceable since it is soldered to the mainboard. A cellphone repair shop might be able to replace it since it is similar to the chips some smartphones boot from. Typically it's often far cheaper to simply replace the mainboard in situations like this. less than about $70 if you're willing to wait a few weeks for delivery.

Jack E/NJ

• sunnyuc

Tinkerer

Options

Thank Jack…much appreciate your insights !

I am not tech-savvy, so your help is much appreciated :)

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Can you install an ssd here?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options

Might be possible if it shows up in the BIOS Information tab.

Jack E/NJ

• sunnyuc

Tinkerer

edited March 2023
    Options

Can I install SSD to my Acer Spin 1SP111-33 instead of replacing the mainboard as you suggested?

I have another old Toshiba labtop (Satellite T135D-S1324) that I can remove HDD/SSD (not sure if compatible) from or I can buy new SSD instead.

Thanks

• JackE
    Options

It might if it's a 2.5" SSD. You can temporarily plug it into the socket that @egydiocoelho posted without screwing down to see if it's recognized in the BIOS INFORMATION tab. Maybe worth a try at this point.

Jack E/NJ

• sunnyuc

Tinkerer

edited March 2023
    Options

I took out 2.5" HDD/SSD from my other laptop. But, NO connection socket matched to 2.5" HDD/SSD in the Acer Spin 1SP111-33 that I can attach the 2.5" HDD/SSD to.

How & where do I connect (temporarily plug it into the socket) the 2.5" HDD/SSD to my Acer Spin 1SP111-33?

See Pictures, Thanks.

(Inside Acer Spin 1SP111-33):

(No connection socket matched to 2.5" HDD/SSD):

(2.5" HDD/SSD from other Laptop):

• JackE
    Options

Yeah, Sorry. Unless it's hidden under the copper plate, you're mainboard apparently doesn't have the HDD cable connector as shown below in the original specs. Probably a production change to save money.

Jack E/NJ

• sunnyuc

Tinkerer

Options

So, there is no way to connect 2.5" HDD/SDD to my Acer Spin 1 ?

If you look closely (inside your red rectangle) at my Acer Spin 1, there is a 12 pin (male) connector - could that be it ?

Thanks

• sunnyuc

Tinkerer

Options

See picture with Yellow Circle (12 pin male connector??) - not sure, perhaps is there an adapter I can use to plug in 2.5" HDD/SDD ?

• JackE
    Options

Sorry, no. Those are the solder balls that the connector would be soldered to during the manufacturing reflow process. The connector itself (outlined area) that captures the HDD cable seems to be missiing.

Jack E/NJ

• sunnyuc

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks Jack, much appreciate your insights :)

• JackE
    edited March 2023
    Options

The connector also seems to be missiing on the new Aliexpress replacement board. I think production changes were made without notice from the originals specs. www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804265961629.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Jack E/NJ

• sunnyuc

Tinkerer

Options

I guess I don't have much luck with my Acer Spin 1 :(

So, there is NO option to connect 2.5" HDD/SDD to my Acer Spin 1 mainboard - D'oh !!

• sunnyuc

Tinkerer

edited March 2023
    Options

Thinking outside the box - alternatively:

1. Can I run Windows 11 OS off of MicroSD card (128GB) since the Acer Spin 1 has a built-in MicroSD slot? OR
    2. Can I run Windows 11 OS from USB/Flash Drive?

During Windows 11 installation process, can I install it to MicroSD Card ?

Is there anyway during Windows 11 installation to recognize MircoSD Drive option so that I can install Windows 11 OS onto MicroSD Card, since I do NOT have option to connect 2.5" HDD/SDD ?

Thanks.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

Sorry, I am afraid you are out of luck with your system, short of replacing the eMMC drive that's soldered to the motherboard. That process is likely to not be cost effective for a laptop that's a few years old like yours, especially since the original design was for one that could be made a chaply as possible. Your best best is an upgrade to a newer system. Preferrably one that isn't the bottom end and has expansion capabilities.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options

A few years ago , Window-2-Go was possible but extremely sluggish even on a superspeed stick. BIOS currently don't recognize SDCard slots as bootable unless you use a USB-2-SDCard adapter but that would be extremely slow also and really doesn't do anything more than a regular USBA3 stick.

YIou have two options that I mentioned previously if you really gotta try to save this thing. Take it to a cellphone repair shop to if they can replace the emmc chip. I'm afraid however that's gonna be a lot more expensive than simply replacing the mainboard for $62 with the coupon from Aliexpress. But then you'll have exactly the same board as you have now without the possibility of adding another HDD or SSD if the emmc chip goes bad again. Unfortunately, emmc chips are a lot like USB stick and can't take as many read-write cycles as a normal HDD or SSD.

So I have to agree with @billsey , if it was mine, I'd probably be looking for a new machine. Maybe use the old one to play around with a USB Linux Live (Linux-2-Go) which is still supported and not that much different from Windows GUIs these days.

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

It is not enough to just solder the socket in place. You also have to solder resistors, capacitors and even transistors, which are part of the same line. Still, it's quite complex.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)