acer spin SP111-33 i wanted to know if I can install windows 7 on it?

tamirmp4
tamirmp4 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

hello i own acer spin 1 SP111-33 i wanted to know if i can install windows 7 on it? (and which version 64/32?)

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Your system is designed for Windows 10 and uses Intel's 9th gen chips. It's unlikely to havbe all the right drivers available for Windows 7. You don't need to change from UEFI for Windows 7, as long as you are installing the sp1 version, since Windows 7 started supporting UEFI boot in sp1.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The thing is ive grown up with windows since xp

Looks like you got something that looks like WinXP again. 😊 Plenty of those available. I set up one of the Linux versions called Q4OS for my sister who was also weaned on WinXP. She's happy again. Blazing fast on newer machines.

Jack E/NJ

• tamirmp4

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

also i want to add, i was trying to install windows 7 and i managed to boot in to the actual windows 7 installer by following the steps you guys said, but i had no mouse or keyboard input and not even usb input.. so i couldn't click next on the 1st step (select location and language) so.. i gave up and searched for lighter mordern windows versions and thats why i installed the other de-bloaded versions of windows, and figured windows 7 is dead and theres nothing i can do about it and i dont have time to deal with finding drivers and all of that. ghost spectre so far is good enough.

(im just adding this comment here in case someone else will ask the same quesstion as i did about windows 7 on modern device) ~ dont try to install windows 7 on modern device, its waste of time, not worth it.. and not working proprly.

Answers

• JackE

Yes you can install either Win7-32 or -64 if BIOS BOOT tab is changed from UEFI mode to Legacy mode and boot emmc chip is changed from GPT to MBR partitioning . However, you will lose all current data and system files and some devices likely won't work properly or at all because Win7 drivers are not available.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Answer ✓

Your system is designed for Windows 10 and uses Intel's 9th gen chips. It's unlikely to havbe all the right drivers available for Windows 7. You don't need to change from UEFI for Windows 7, as long as you are installing the sp1 version, since Windows 7 started supporting UEFI boot in sp1.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

»»You don't need to change from UEFI for Windows 7»>

I disagree. You must still run UEFI in Legacy mode or with CSM compatiblility overlay enabled. And the Win7 boot drive must be mbr partitioned, not gpt.

Jack E/NJ

• tamirmp4

Tinkerer

edited March 2023

ok thank you guys for answering my quesstion, so after reading what you guys are saying it is possible, thats what i wanted to know, but what i understand is that is not worth it, but isnt the windows 7 lighter then windows 10 and can improve system preformance? also i own a diffrent device from lenovo (ideapad 1) with simular specs (4gb ram and Celeron N4020 and 64gb emmc) and i noticed its much slower then my acer spin 1, that originally was the source of my idea to try windows 7 i was thinking to expriment on it 1st so i tried to split my main drive (64gb drive) and i tried to install random windows 7 iso file that i found on the internet on it (from the windows itself) and i failed, i might try again on the acer spin1 but i wanted to know is there a way to get windows 7 to be bootable from usb stick (like windows 10 / 11 tool) or get a source for reliable windows 7 file?

also i might add that the windows 10 is bloated with with random things so isnt windows 7 should be much better interms of preformance for such weak devices? (even if they shipped with win 10)

• JackE

Yes you can boot Win7 from a bootable USB stick by enabling the F12 boot option in the BIOS MAIN tab. You'll probably also have to change to legacy or CSM overlay BIOS so the stick will be recognized. Then insert the stick with the machine turned off. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. A menu should appear to allow you to boot from the stick. While Win7 can probably be installed, it will likely be hobbled by the lack of software drivers for the hardware that wasn't even invented yet when Win7 support ended. You might try iobit's Driver Booster freeware to find suitable Win7 drivers for hardware that doesn't seem to work properly if you can get on line with an eithernet wired connection because newer wifi is usually one of the drivers that Win7 probably won't have.

Jack E/NJ

• tamirmp4

Tinkerer

do i need to fully format my c drive or i can split and have both windows 10 and 7?

also do u know where can i get a reliable copy of windows 7 iso? becouse last time i tried microsoft site no longer have the iso file

• JackE

Once you try to install Win7, it should automatically try to convert the drive to MBR partitioning from GPT partitioning. The GPT partitioned factory Win10 and its hidden factory recovery will be wiped out. You may later be able to install Win10 alongside Win7 but it will not be the original factory version. So if you want to save the factory stuff as it is now, you'll have to make a backup image on a USB stick. Native MBR Win7 and the original factory native GPT Win10 cannot co-exist on the same disk.

Jack E/NJ

• tamirmp4

Tinkerer

ok so i did some searching today, and ive seen few interesting things, i have downloaded kind of like “patched” version of windows 7 ultimate on ISO file that should have some modern drivers baked in to it (i dont know if it support my devices but i might try it) but i did more digging and ive seen there are some modded versions of windows 10 and 11 without all of the bloat and microsoft data collection settings and without windows update! it is interesting to me. i was thinking shouldn't i install one of these instead? to be honest i love windows 7 and always wanted to try windows 7 with touch capable device, but i dont wanna waste all of my time on searching for non exsisting drivers and stuff, i have seen there are many light versions of windows 10 and 11 there was “ghost spectre” "tiny 11" and few more like this my quesstion is these custom windows copies are safe to use? or should i try to install win 7 for fun?

• JackE

If it was mine, I'd install LinuxMint Cinnamon GUI because it can be set up to have almost the same look, feel, function of Win7 only faster and more stable than either Win10 & Win11. When Microsoft announced that they were ending support for their last halfway decent Windows version more than 3 yrs ago, all my machines were and still are running Mint. And all the Win-only apps that I wanted to continue to use, run just fine under the WINE overlay,

Jack E/NJ

• tamirmp4

Tinkerer

The thing is ive grown up with windows since xp and its the only thing i know, i mean i used ios and android but in terms of PC os only windows, so i am thinking to still stay on windows for now and maybe try linux for fun on my main pc to learn how to use it on splitted drive, but for now ,ye i think i will stick to windows, there for thebquesstioj remains the same which one should i get?

• JackE

»»The thing is ive grown up with windows since xp »>

Heh-heh XP. That probably means you're a youngster. 🙂

Serioiusly though, you have a low-end machine with hardware designed to work best with Win10. Not Win7. Not Win8x. No even Win11. So if it was mine, I'd stay with the factory-installed Windows version. But it's not mine, so you must decide for yourself if you want to try any of these other modded (meaning not Microsoft) versions.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    edited March 2023

And it's my turn to beg to differ… Service pack 1 for Windows 7 added support for UEFI boot, so MBR and legacy are no longer needed as long as you aren't working with the original Windows 7. That is why they supported Windows 8 with a downgrade option to Windows 7 on new machines when W8 was first released, they were running W7 in UEFI mode. You would have to have a really old W7 install image to not have sp1. W7 came out in October 2009, sp1 in 2010, W8 in 2012, so two thirds of the time W7 was available it had sp1.

• tamirmp4

Tinkerer

hey guys sorry for the delay i was super sick. ok so i have an update, i was trying diffrent random “modded" windows 10 versions i installed windows 10 lite and tiny 10 i can confirm tiny 10 was the fastest one, but! both of these windows versions came without windows update and it gave me some driver problems + i couldn't download diffrent display language.. (im not used to english windows and i dont like it) so i have decided to try ghost spectre windows 11, ive seen this version is nice but it was still heavy for the device, so today i installed ghostspectre windows 10 and the device is running much better i found good drivers too and installed diffrent display language, and i customized the pc (i was trying it on my lenovo ideapad since its not my main device and i dont care enough about it) and i decided to keep my acer spin on the orginal windows it came with its not worth the time to deal with this again and i do not fully trust ghostspectre (i mean im not trusting microsoft either but at least i know its not full of viruses) i can say one thing the original microsoft windows 10 and 11 are super bloated and slow they are not fitting to these kind of devices. thats all i can say..

• JackE
    Answer ✓

The thing is ive grown up with windows since xp

Looks like you got something that looks like WinXP again. 😊 Plenty of those available. I set up one of the Linux versions called Q4OS for my sister who was also weaned on WinXP. She's happy again. Blazing fast on newer machines.

Jack E/NJ

• tamirmp4

Tinkerer

edited March 2023

what iI installed is actually just tweaked windows 10 with some tweak called startisback it basbasically lets u choose windows 7 taskbar style and more , i will try non windows OS one day, but for now iI guess this is as close as it gets to win7 so yeah.. I guess this topic is done. I wanted to ask more unrelated quesstions but should I ask them here or make a new post? It is related to the same acer spin 1

• JackE

Better to post a new thread for more attention.

Jack E/NJ

• tamirmp4

Tinkerer

alright i did it thank you for the help and for JackE and thanks to every one!

• tamirmp4

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

also i want to add, i was trying to install windows 7 and i managed to boot in to the actual windows 7 installer by following the steps you guys said, but i had no mouse or keyboard input and not even usb input.. so i couldn't click next on the 1st step (select location and language) so.. i gave up and searched for lighter mordern windows versions and thats why i installed the other de-bloaded versions of windows, and figured windows 7 is dead and theres nothing i can do about it and i dont have time to deal with finding drivers and all of that. ghost spectre so far is good enough.

(im just adding this comment here in case someone else will ask the same quesstion as i did about windows 7 on modern device) ~ dont try to install windows 7 on modern device, its waste of time, not worth it.. and not working proprly.

• JackE

Thanks for report. 🙂

Jack E/NJ