Acer Swift 3 (SF314-51) and USB-C Charging not working

DaisyDarling
DaisyDarling Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

(Hi,

A few years ago I remember I was able to charge my SF314-51 with a USB-C charger meant for Macbook (to my great surprise). Fast forward today, my AC adaptor charger (or perhaps my charging port) is not working. Since I've also moved from France to Canada, I'd prefer to take the opportunity to just looking at new chargers with a North American plug, and USB-C would be awesome.

The problem is no matter what USB-C charger I've tried, whether for Macbook or for another PC or a generic PC USB-C charger, it just won't work. I read on another forum people mentioning that it needed to be 65W. I've tried that. Doesn't work. But I know that I used to charge with a Mac USB-C charger before!! (in France)

Now I'm wondering if I'm missing a driver or something, but the USB-C port does work as a port, so it's probably not that? Does the country (voltage?) change have anything to do with it?

Any insights?

Thank you!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,541 Trailblazer

The SG doesn't specify the actual specs on this model, but typically you need power similar to what the stock supply gives in order for it to work. In this case that would be a USB-C charger that provides at least 45W at 20V. If it gives something less for the current than 45W it might work, but slower than it should, and if it provides less than 20V it also might not work. Make sure the supply gives 45W at 20V. 65W should be fine, as long as it is at 20V, heck 120W at 20V should work. No drivers needed…

Now, saying that it is possible that at some point you have blown something on the port that doesn't pass the power voltage through to the charging circuit. Does everything else work fully on that USB-C port? Can you charge your phone from it? The country/voltage doesn't make any difference, those only affect the power supply itself, since it's giving DC to the laptop. Here is the spec I have for the USB ports:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,793 Trailblazer

The SF314-511 supports thunderbolt type-c port power delivery with a 5V-to-20V max 65W PD adaptor. The SF314-51 does not.

Jack E/NJ

• DaisyDarling

Tinkerer

edited March 2023

Thanks for the responses and good to know that this doesnt' have to do with drivers. I feel like I must've blown something then, because yes it does work charging my phone. I'll have to pay attention to the voltage specs but I know I've tried various chargers with different watts.

But I know for sure charging via usb-c USED to work (I used to use my macbook usb-c charger for work, to my great surprise)

• Athwart
    Athwart Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon

I'm a little confused. According to the manual & the specs @billsey listed, the SF314-51 Type C port only supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 which does NOT support DC-in. Is it possible your laptop is a different model such as the SF314-511 which does support DC-in on the Type C port with USB 3.2 Gen 2.

• JackE

»>But I know for sure charging via usb-c USED to work (I used to use my macbook usb-c charger for work, to my great surprise)»»

Check your model number again by pressing WIN+R. Enter ‘msinfo32’. Post screenshot of right pane if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• DaisyDarling

Tinkerer

It says SF314-51 on the label on the bottom of my laptop and it says it here too:

It is weird that it is not specified as so in the specs but I did used to do it before, that is kind of weird!

Thanks for your attention and time to this! I appreciate the help and insight.

• DaisyDarling

Tinkerer

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand? it's an SF314-51 as I said. Bought it in France new from the store in 2017.

• JackE

While the original -51 model specs do not support type-c power delivery for charging, it 's possible that later production changes were made without notice. In that case, the 5V-to-20V max 65W Power Delivery adaptor suggested for the -511 model might be safe to try.

Jack E/NJ

• DaisyDarling

Tinkerer

Thank you, I'll try that!

In terms of safe/not safe, what are the risks?

• JackE

Don't go to higher power adapter than the recommended maximum 65 watt output that the c port can handle. You already took a chance by using the MACBOOK adapter since we don't seem to know what it's maximum power output was. If it was more than 65 watts, it's possible a bit of smoke might've already escaped from c port's power delivery circuits.

Jack E/NJ

• DaisyDarling

Tinkerer

Got it, thank you!