What is the best performing CPU I can put on this motherboard?

TomkatDF2
TomkatDF2 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

I would like to know what's the best performing CPU that is compatible with my motherboard (to see if I'm able to upgrade)

I have an ACER with the following motherboard…

DAA78L / Kara MB 13127-1

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

The Aspire TC-120 desktop has the A10-7800 CPU that is a 4 core /4 threads/ 3.5GHz normal to 3.9GHz turbo / L2 cache at 4MB / TDP 65W, which is an AMD cpu core named Kaveri and it’s an AMD Socket FM2+ and comes oem with this desktop.

The max suggested upgradable cpu is to the A10-7870K which has an upgradability suggested success ratio of 80% but, this won’t give you much of an improved performance to your A10-7800 oem cpu as its only a max of 5.5% relative increased performance.

Then you have the A10-7890K CPU is a 4 core / 4 threads / 4.1GHz normal to 4.3GHz turbo / L2 Cache 4MB, that has a suggested 76% upgrade chance but this cpu runs 47% hotter at 95W TPD, so you will need better cpu cooling. Be Warned: I can’t guarantee that the Aspire TC-120s last BIOS dated: 2020/01/25 and BIOS Version P11-A4 is compatible with the A10-7890K CPU Godavari Core CPU.

So be careful as with AMD CPUs the bios has to be updated for new generation CPUs and they have to correct the different AMD generations CPUs to be compatible, buying this A10-7870K CPU Godavari Core CPU could be a waste of time and money as it will not work, upgrade to the same core and a bit higher model A10-7870K CPU as that is the safest way for a CPU to work! Good luck and hope this has helped you out.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

What Acer model is that from? We don't have cross references to those types of number…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TomkatDF2

I'm at work right now, so I can't look at the PC. However, I found the following information…

Doing some further searching on Socket FM2+ (A-Series) yields this list…

I have highlighted the one that I THINK would be the “max” best CPU I can get for this motherboard. Does that seem correct?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

I wouldn't even be able to guess without looking at the service manual, and can't look at the service manual until I know which model it is…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TomkatDF2

OK, I will get the model number when I get home from work. Thanks!

• TomkatDF2

Here are my specs.. hope this helps.

• TomkatDF2

Sorry, forgot to tag you in reply… see post above.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

The Aspire TC-120 desktop has the A10-7800 CPU that is a 4 core /4 threads/ 3.5GHz normal to 3.9GHz turbo / L2 cache at 4MB / TDP 65W, which is an AMD cpu core named Kaveri and it’s an AMD Socket FM2+ and comes oem with this desktop.

The max suggested upgradable cpu is to the A10-7870K which has an upgradability suggested success ratio of 80% but, this won’t give you much of an improved performance to your A10-7800 oem cpu as its only a max of 5.5% relative increased performance.

Then you have the A10-7890K CPU is a 4 core / 4 threads / 4.1GHz normal to 4.3GHz turbo / L2 Cache 4MB, that has a suggested 76% upgrade chance but this cpu runs 47% hotter at 95W TPD, so you will need better cpu cooling. Be Warned: I can’t guarantee that the Aspire TC-120s last BIOS dated: 2020/01/25 and BIOS Version P11-A4 is compatible with the A10-7890K CPU Godavari Core CPU.

So be careful as with AMD CPUs the bios has to be updated for new generation CPUs and they have to correct the different AMD generations CPUs to be compatible, buying this A10-7870K CPU Godavari Core CPU could be a waste of time and money as it will not work, upgrade to the same core and a bit higher model A10-7870K CPU as that is the safest way for a CPU to work! Good luck and hope this has helped you out.