Cannot Enter BIOS after Win10 installation TMP214-52-56PW

Options
rmorelli
rmorelli Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in Windows 10

Why I can't enter bios after Win10 installation?

I wanna install linux and go with dual boot on my laptop but if I press F2 while booting then it stucks wiht Acer logo and can't enter bios or boot windows.

If I try in windows problems & resolution wit EUFI boot from USB also doesn't work, system complains that no EUFI USB boot device has been found.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options

Windows must be installed in UEFI mode on a GPT partitioned (not MBR) boot drive. The linux installation stick must also be GPT partitioned (not MBR) for UEFI BIOS (not legacy or CSM BIOS) using Rufus and the Win10 installtion iso file to install Linux alongside Windows in UEFI mode, not Legacy or CSM BIOS

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

If you tried to install Linux already, which version was it? Some distributions tend to break entering the BIOS…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rmorelli

Tinkerer

Options

Debian 11

but that sounds strange to me… I've had dual boot for 3-4 years (it was around 2009 ) and never faced this, alway used debian since Sarge

So I should completely remove win and try with ubuntu maybe.

• rmorelli

Tinkerer

Options

This is exactly what I did exept for Rufus, usb stick is gpt partitioned for uefi. I can enter GRUB but there's a shim_lock error and installation can't go on

• JackE
    Options

Did you first set and save a BIOS supervisor password, then re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Options

Yes, Debian isn't one that I've heard of that disables BIOS access. What computer do you have? We can give more targeted information if we know what we are working with. The model number is on the same sticker as your serial number and will look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rmorelli

Tinkerer

Options

it's a Travelmate P214 series: TMP214-52-56PW model no. NQ19Q7

• rmorelli

Tinkerer

Options

I've set BIOS supervisor password but then after win10 installation never asked again...

GRUB message clearly has something to do with secure boot

shim_lock protocol not found

you need to load the kernel first

• JackE
    Options

If you still can't access the BIO, yu need to temporarily disconnnect the boot drive. Then try to access it again. Then we'll go from there.

Jack E/NJ

• rmorelli

Tinkerer

Options

I would prefer not to… laptop it's not really mine, it belongs to my company. I'd better take it to the IT guys at this point

• JackE
    Options

Yeah, 12 screws and bottom cover must be removed to access the drives or cards if you can't access the BIOS menu. Try this. Turn the machine off long presssing the power button. Then press and hold the F2. Then short press the power button to turn the machine back on.

Jack E/NJ

• rmorelli

Tinkerer

Options

Doesn't work… always stucked with ACER logo.

Should take a long breath and remove the 12 screws :-))

• JackE
    Options

Do you still have a bootable Linux or Windows stick that boots with the F12 startup option? We may be able to disable the EFI partition that's preventing access.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Options

If you boot to a Windows install flash drive you can use the command prompt to either rebuild the EFI partition or to edit the EFI table. But it is likely better to let your IT guys handle it.