Swift 1 SF114-32-P6M2 I would like to change the ssd upgrade

Options
Shockhungunya
Shockhungunya Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Hello,

I own a Swift 1 (SF114-32-P6M2), I would like to change the SSD. When I opened the laplop, the M.2 slot was empty. I don't know where the 64go of storage are located. I tried pluging in two NVMe disks (500 go and 256 go) which were not detected. According to a previous post, I guess my motherboard requires a SATA drive.

Is there a size limit which I should care about ?

And is it possible to remove the 64go drive ?

Thank you in advance.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Yes, you can use a 512GB or 256GB SSD, other users have installed 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, your OS is in 64GB eMMC drive which is soldered to the motherboard, so after installing SSD, go to Disk management and post the picture of bottom half.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49534871

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51396320

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, after installing the new SSD in the M.2 slot (yours supports both the slower SATA drives and the faster NVMe drives), you will use disk cloning software to clone the existing eMMC drive to the new SSD. Next you will use the F12 boot menu (you might have to enable it in the BIOS) to choose to boot from the new drive. Once booted from the new drive use Disk Management to wipe all partitions form the eMMC and then create a single data partition on it. From there you are good to go…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Shockhungunya
    Shockhungunya Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello,

thank you all for your help.

I tried with the tech guy at the store, he couldn't make it work with neither my NMVe drive nor with his (while his documentation said the computer supported NVMe). Then he tried a SATA drive and it worked. I guess my computer Swift 1 doesn't support NVMe and I will have to make do with a slower drive.

Have a nice day.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Well, there is a caveat in the SG “SATA and PCIe devices vary depending on model and PCB BOM type.” I guess you drew the short straw with your SKU.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.