KG241Q 165hz stopped working If I try to turn monitor back to 165hz the screen will just stay black

Options
Jtov
Jtov Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2023 in Monitors

My monitor is connected through DP and I had never had an issue for almost a year with the monitor. It's supposed to go up to 165hz and I've been using 165 no issue for that long, but about 2 months ago my screen started turning black randomly and then it kept getting worse. After a while I found out I had to fix it by turning the monitor to 144hz. I have all my drivers updated, the cords work fine, I don't know what's causing this. If I try to turn my monitor back to 165hz the screen will just stay black.

Also another unrelated issue that doesn't really matter as much but might bring some insight into what's wrong the Acer monitor, if I unplug my second monitor which isn't my primary display as it's 60hz and connected through hdmi, both monitors will turn off instead of just my second one but if I unplug my main monitor the second one will stay on.

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options

I've been using 165 no issue for that long, but about 2 months ago my screen started turning black randomly and then it kept getting worse. After a while I found out I had to fix it by turning the monitor to 144hz……I had to fix it by turning the monitor to 144hz»».

A fully black screen with no warnings often means the it's not receiving a 165Hz video signal from the GPU. What GPU temperatures are you now seeing at the144Hz rate?

Jack E/NJ

• Jtov
    Jtov Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

it stays at around 50-51 C normally and when in-game it'll go from 53-60 C

• JackE
    Options

What GPU card are you using?

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

Are you sure about the model number KG241Q? Because the maximum guaranteed resolution and refresh rate specs for this Win7 era design technology are 1080p @ 75Hz. If the OSD was showing 165Hz or 144Hz, it is highly unlikely that those were true actual screen rates. For similar models of this vintage, the highest true actual rates I've ever seen were about 90Hz. Nothing anything near 144Hz or 165Hz

My guess is that even though you might have manually set the monitor at 165Hz, the card automatically downshifted to 75Hz maximum capability of the monitor. Perhaps a video driver update might've changed this automatic downhifting at 165Hz, hence the black screen. But may be still allowing auto downshifting at 144Hz setting. You can try to download and install the 2017 Win10 monitor update driver at this link to see if it changes the rate options to better reflect true actual capabilities for this monitor.. But I seriously doubt true actual rates will be much higher than 75Hz. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ