Is there a recommended docking station for the Acer Aspire A515-57?

Options
rmiller1959
rmiller1959 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited February 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I am looking for a compatible docking station for my Acer Aspire A515-57 laptop. It doesn't necessarily need to provide power to the laptop; I don't believe it can be powered via the USB-C port. It does need to extend the number of ports and connections via the docking station. I welcome your advice!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• anawilliam850
    anawilliam850 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are a few options for docking stations that are compatible with the Acer Aspire A515-57 laptop, depending on your needs and preferences. Here are some suggestions:

1. Plugable UD-6950H: This is a versatile docking station that offers dual HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, as well as six USB ports, an Ethernet port, and a 3.5mm audio jack. It connects to your laptop via USB-C and provides up to 85W of power delivery.
    2. Dell D6000: This docking station features a single USB-C cable that can connect to up to three displays, as well as additional ports including four USB ports, an Ethernet port, and a 3.5mm audio jack. It provides up to 65W of power delivery.
    3. CalDigit TS3 Plus: This is a high-end docking station that offers a wide range of ports, including dual Thunderbolt 3 ports, five USB-A ports, an Ethernet port, an SD card reader, and more. It provides up to 87W of power delivery and supports dual 4K displays.
    4. Anker PowerExpand Elite: This is a compact docking station that offers a good balance of features and portability. It features two HDMI ports, a USB-C port, three USB-A ports, an Ethernet port, and a 3.5mm audio jack. It provides up to 85W of power delivery and supports dual 4K displays.

It's important to note that not all docking stations are compatible with every laptop, so be sure to check the specifications and compatibility of the docking station before purchasing.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,480 Trailblazer
    Options

Since the laptop has a ThunderBolt 4 type-c port on the left side that alos supports power delivery for charging the laptop, a ThunderBolt 3 or 4 compatible docking station is suggested. Prices & capabilities vary all over the map depending on what you think you'll ever need. Google search the keywords thunderbolt type-c docking

Jack E/NJ

• anawilliam850
    anawilliam850 Member Posts: 56 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are a few options for docking stations that are compatible with the Acer Aspire A515-57 laptop, depending on your needs and preferences. Here are some suggestions:

1. Plugable UD-6950H: This is a versatile docking station that offers dual HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, as well as six USB ports, an Ethernet port, and a 3.5mm audio jack. It connects to your laptop via USB-C and provides up to 85W of power delivery.
    2. Dell D6000: This docking station features a single USB-C cable that can connect to up to three displays, as well as additional ports including four USB ports, an Ethernet port, and a 3.5mm audio jack. It provides up to 65W of power delivery.
    3. CalDigit TS3 Plus: This is a high-end docking station that offers a wide range of ports, including dual Thunderbolt 3 ports, five USB-A ports, an Ethernet port, an SD card reader, and more. It provides up to 87W of power delivery and supports dual 4K displays.
    4. Anker PowerExpand Elite: This is a compact docking station that offers a good balance of features and portability. It features two HDMI ports, a USB-C port, three USB-A ports, an Ethernet port, and a 3.5mm audio jack. It provides up to 85W of power delivery and supports dual 4K displays.

It's important to note that not all docking stations are compatible with every laptop, so be sure to check the specifications and compatibility of the docking station before purchasing.

• JackE
    Options

Since the laptop has a ThunderBolt 4 type-c port on the left side that also supports power delivery for charging the laptop, a ThunderBolt 3 or 4 compatible docking station is suggested. Prices & capabilities vary all over the map depending on what you think you'll ever need.
    Google search the keywords thunderbolt type-c docking

Jack E/NJ

• rmiller1959

Tinkerer

edited February 2023
    Options

Thank you for the suggestions! However, I'm concerned that Acer isn't particularly clear on whether the Thunderbolt 4 type C-port on the A515-57 can charge the laptop. The user manual says the USB-C port with DC-in on the A515-47 can charge the laptop, but it doesn't mention a charging capability for the Thunderbolt port. Do I assume because it is a Thunderbolt 4 port, it should be able to charge the laptop? It does not refer to USB Power Delivery, the protocol it needs to permit laptop charging via the USB-C port.

• JackE
    Options

Your title suggests that you have the A515-57, not the A515-47. Please check your model number again to make sure you have the -57.

Jack E/NJ

• rmiller1959

Tinkerer

edited March 2023
    Options

Oh, it's definitely the A515-57 (see images).

However, the manual I downloaded that was purportedly for the A515-57 does not have “power delivery” in the list of features for the TBT4 port.

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

• JackE
    Options

Well, the original factory specs posted earlier suggest that it does have power delivery. Factory specs are usually more accurate but still not 100% guaranteed. So if it was mine, I'd probably get a dock from a vendor with a good return policy just in case it doesn't work.

Jack E/NJ

• rmiller1959

Tinkerer

Options

That's sound advice! Thank you for the time you've invested in my question. I appreciate it!

• rmiller1959

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for the generous list of options! I am taking a serious look at the CalDigit series of docking stations; as you stated, they are high-end but also futureproof. I'm grateful for your time and attention!

• rmiller1959

Tinkerer

Options

To close the loop on my question, I purchased the CalDigit TS4 Thunderbolt dock, a premium device that works like a charm! The Thunderbolt 4 connection DOES deliver power to my laptop while connected, which is noteworthy for folks who are as confused by Acer's documentation as I was. Thanks to all who advised me, and I hope this outcome is helpful to someone else!

• JackE
    Options

Congratulations. Thanks for the report. I'll add it to my list.

Jack E/NJ

• fewitz
    fewitz Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options

Does your laptop charge via the Thunderbolt4 port? If so, does it support 65w? I think I will order accordingly.

• rmiller1959

Tinkerer

Options

Yes, to both! I'm very pleased with this docking station and the expandability it brings to my laptop.

• fewitz
    fewitz Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options

I've read in some comments that it is necessary to adjust the BIOS or reset the battery. Did it work directly?