HELP: Acer ES1-111 Doesn't Run the laptop doesn't turn on

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer

> >But no such a wire with coin cell slot provided as shown.> >

Because a lithium coin cell is not re-chargeable, might leak and has a shelf life less than 10 years, vendors often don't include them on replacement boards.

Jack E/NJ

• producer
    producer Member Posts: 55 Troubleshooter

Well how to connect / install the coin cell from the previous motherboard where its slot is mounted on the board there, as shown on your image?

• JackE

Is voltage of old coin cell still over 3.1 volts?

Jack E/NJ

• producer
    edited October 5

I think yes, it is, I will check it later. But the battery itself is not the problem, I can find a replacement if needed. The problem is that I can't use the battery, just because simply there is not a battery slot on the new mainboard.

So I need something like this?

• JackE

For a mainboard without a factory-installed socket, it's best to simply remove the coin cell's plug. Pre-tin the wire tips. Then touch-solder wires directly to the mainboard with a pen tip solder tool.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

You mean to remove the battery socket from the old mainboard and to solder it to the new one?

• JackE

NO!! Unless you have special desoldering/soldering tools, it's too risky to try to solder the socket to the mainboard.

Instead, simply cut the plug off the red/black wires to the coin cell. Strip some insulation from the ends of the two wires. Tin the ends of the wires with solder. Then place the end of each wire on the corresponding mainboard contact. And briefly touch each end with a pen-tip solder tool to complete the connection to the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

I just installed the new motherboard without coin cell just for s test. The laptop started working well, BUT…

1. The battery LED indicator always blinks in orange instead of blue, as if as the battery is very low, at the same time the system shows it full as it really is.
    2. The WLAN slot (next to the HDD/SSD slot) is shorter in length than the one on original mainboard, so it doesn't fit and is impossible to use wireless internet. Can the module be replaced with different one?
    3. The processor should be N2940 as described, instead it is N3050.

• JackE

(1) Should connect RTC coin cell to if it turns steady blue.

(2) The image below looks like a correct m.2 wlan socket. Post a photo of your wifi card

(3) The CPU is newer & uses less power

Jack E/NJ

• producer
    edited October 5

(1) So the orange blinking battery indicator is because of the missing coin cell? Really? Because when trying to charge the battery even with the laptop turned off, the LED changes to solid orange and after a minute - again blinking, as if as it doesn't charge. By the way, the Windows system doesn't show the real battery status - it always stays at 100% which is not true. Something is wrong with this mainboard.

Also, the BIOS keeps somehow the date and time after shut down multiple times and even after battery reset (by the bottom hole). How is this possible?!?

(2) Tomorrow I will take a photo of the WiFi card. Its socket is wider with more pins than the new mainboard socket.

(3) Yes, N3050 is newer, but all the comparisons in many websites of N2940 vs N3050 show that N2940 is better, 4-core and higher GHz.

• JackE

So send it back to the vendor as the wrong cpu not as advertised.

Jack E/NJ

• producer
  • producer

Here is a photo of the WLAN socket together with the WiFi card. A totally different socket!

• JackE
    edited October 6

You hould connect the RTC coin cell to see if it stops blinking. However, if the original battery hasn't been replaced, then it probably has lost most of its designed full charge capacity since it's over 10 yrs old and likely continue to blink as a warning that it should be replaced.

Your wlan card is an older design for a PCIe socket, not the newer m.2 socket. A new m.2 Intel AX200 card is about $15usd. Or you can use a PCIe to m.2 adapter with the old card for less than $2usd.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Sorry, that wifi adapter I posted above is for the older style mainboard. Since you have the newer mainboard, you should get the Intel AX200 wifi card.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

No, the original battery still works fine (4-5 hours). I just fully charged it right before replacing the mainboard. With the old mainboard, the battery worked and charged successfully, even that the laptop was unable to start.

After placing the new mainboard, the laptop can work with plugged charger only and the battery status is shown always "100%" in the tray instead of "charging".

• producer

So what kind of adapter is suitable for my WiFi card? if I have to buy a new WiFi card as you recommended, then this laptop will become "golden" after so much money spent.

• JackE

The adapter for the new mainboard is not practical.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,789 Trailblazer

Likely an adapter between miniPCI and M.2 would cost as much or more than the M.2 WiFi card… Plus the newer style card will be faster.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • producer

So I need M.2 WiFi card, right?

So the problem remained will be the battery that the new mainboard doesn't allow charging and the right status of it. Do you have any idea if this may be solved? Obviously is not because of the driver, it's a hardware problem, I think.