HELP: Acer ES1-111 Doesn't Run the laptop doesn't turn on

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer

As I said earlier, some mainboards do and some don't work without a functioning battery installed. But it's your's to trash wthout taking a chance on a new battery, not mine. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

• producer
    producer Member Posts: 36 Troubleshooter

Did you really solve it?!? How, what did you do? Please share here.

• producer

I didn't get why you mentioned those reference points. Is your problem the same as mine: the laptop doesn't start hours after pressing the power button?

• JackE

»»Did you really solve it?!? »>

Sorry, no. I searched for posts by the user to whom you asked this question earlier today.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,255 Trailblazer

@Keveinp56 you should start a new thread for your issue. Include the full model number off the sticker than has your serial number, or the first ten digits of your serial number. Describe what is happening with your system and what you have done so far to try and fix it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • producer

Hi again after many months of no conversation about the issue with my Acer-ES1-111.

Through all these months the laptop was working well with no shutdown, only sleep mode. As I explained in this topic long time ago, it needed time (30 minutes to 12 hours) to power on after the blue LED blinking. But soon ago after a restart, the laptop is unable to work anymore. The same blue LED blinking even after a week. So I brought the laptop to another computer service and today they told me that the reason is defective BIOS. They said that the BIOS needs to be loaded (flashed). I am not sure if this is true or not, but I don't see how to to do that when there is no display at all.

Please let me know where to find the BIOS and how to transfer it to the laptop.

By the way, when the BIOS is defected, then will the display lit (with any error message, for example) or not? I think the LED display must lit even with defective BIOS.

• JackE

They said that the BIOS needs to be loaded (flashed).

The BIOS firmware can be downloaded from this link. The service center must extract the binary firmware from the compressed zip & exe files. They should know what the binary file looks like. Then put the binary file on a FAT32 format USB stick with an activity light. Insert the stick in to the laptop plugged in with a fully charged battery. Then press and hold FN+ESC while turning on the laptop. As soon as USB activity light starts blinking, release keys. Flash will take about 5 mins and laptop will automatically shut off if successful.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

I will try it.

And is it normal for the laptop to keep blinking only if the bios is defective? I still think that the screen has to lit even without displaying anything. For now the blinking blue led is the only indication , everything else is like dead.

• JackE

If you press & hold the power button for about 10 seconds with the CHARGER UNPLUGGED, and the light is still blinking, then this is ABNORMAL. The light should be off.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

Yes, it always turns off this way as well.

Again: will a defective BIOS cause the screen not even light up?

• JackE

Yes, the screen's LED backlight is usually also part of the BIOS initialization routine. But a faulty LCD VGA ribbon cable can also cause a similar backlight symptom from broken conductor or wire traces in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much.

For your information, if the blinking light reappears on plugging the charger back in, then the battery or its regulator are probably defective.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

Forgot to tell you: they have also removed the additionally installed RAM saying that it's defective, now the blue power indicator doesn't blink, it lights up solid. Of course, nothing else is different, the laptop is still like dead.

The blinking lights appears always after pressing the power button, no matter if on battery or plugged-in charger.

• JackE

>now the blue power indicator doesn't blink

>The blinking lights appears always after pressing the power button>

So does this mean that the PowerLED is lit steady blue when turned on —- and that the BatteryLED always blinks?

Jack E/NJ

• producer

No, the battery led never blinks, no matter if it's orange or blue. Only the power led was blinking only. Until they removed the RAM and now the powee led is lit steady.

• JackE

Momentarily press FN+F6. If nothing happens, try FN+F5.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

I know this combination, but it is not the reason for no lit screen in this situation.

• JackE

OK. Then the screen issue probably is either the BIOS firmware or the LCD VGA cable itself as described earlier. However, VGA cable failures are usually more common than BIOS problems if a firmware change had never been tried before.

Jack E/NJ

• producer

No, it's definitely not the screen. Once the laptop powers on (as I explained in details here months ago), everything works 100% with no any indication of any issue or failure. Through all the time the BIOS, the screen, etc. worked normally. And that's why I even have some doubts if the reason is the BIOS now as they told me. I still think that they probably did something wrong (circle battery removing or some chip destroying), because they said the BIOS must be flashed, but they don't have time to spend for that(!?!?!?!).

I will open the lower cover of the laptop to see if everything inside is ok, before trying to flash the BIOS.

• JackE

No, it's definitely not the screen. > months ago

What about right now? Not months ago? The power LED is lit. The battery LED is lit. Is the screen on or not?

Jack E/NJ