Predator PH315-55 Should I update my BIOS?

TeknoClan
TeknoClan Member Posts: 51 Troubleshooter
edited February 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hello, so my laptop is a Predator PH315-55. I haven't updated my BIOS since I got it last year. My current version is 1.05 should I update it to 1.08?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,697 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023

The bios version 1.08 is needed especially for Win-11, all bios versions will improve the performance of this laptop, as does the specific vbios firmware update, that is needed for the Intel gpu of this laptop and for the GeForce RTX 3060 specifically to update the VBIOS ver: 94.06.36.00.62 or 94.06.36.00.61. Having bios version 1.05 only will affect the Intel gpu and Win-11 potential of this laptop performance, so I would update both bios and vbios updates.

Note: the bios updates are done through windows OS and should updated according to the safety steps of a bios update protocols, so you should take all precautions to do that correctly. The firmware vbios needs expertise and if you haven't done a vbios update before or don't have experience in updating a vbios firmware, then I would get someone who has experience to do this update.

• TeknoClan

So the reason I wanted to update was because my laptop kept randomly shutting down for no reason

• TeknoClan

I fixed that my disability fast start up in December last year. It worked fine until yesterday. All of a sudden my laptop shut down and when I turned it on again it was updating(there some updates pending restart)

• TeknoClan

When I generated a Battery Report it also showed negative values. So should I update the BIOD and hope it fixes all those problems? I updated the BIOS before on a Lenovo laptop but never an Acer one. I download the BIOS 1.08 from acer.com, How do I update the VBIOS? The people I do know have never updated the BIOS or VBIOS.

• TeknoClan

I don’t know how to update the VBIOS. I have never done so.

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited February 2023

To update the VBIOS, download the Update from the support site of your model.

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/Firmware/Firmware_Acer_1.02a_A_A.zip?acerid=637946742597363969&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=PREDATOR%20PH315-55&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Extract the zip file to a folder on your HDD/SSD. You will find a file named "Update VBIOS SOP_V102a.pdf". Open this file and read the instructions carefully. Then perform the update as described.

• The bios updates won't fix any of the power off issues for your laptop, the battery could have something to do with power off and if you are getting negative readings then its time to replace the main battery or you have internal circuitry problems that can cause this power off issues, charge the battery and check the battery voltage it should be 19V if its not then replace the battery and if you still get the power off issues then take your laptop to a tech so that your laptop can be analyze and the power off fault can be pin pointed where it is, which is usually a capacitor that is burned out and needs replacing.

• TeknoClan

I only got this laptop in November last year. As for the power offs last time I disabled fast start up and it stopped. Regarding the negative values, it appeared last year inDecember but when I drained the Battery and charged it to 100% after, that fixed it.

• TeknoClan
  • First try to do a Hard Reset of the laptop, turn the laptop off completely, unscrew all the back cover screws, take the back cover off, disconnect and take the main battery out, disconnect the RTC/BIOS battery and take the ram out, leave all components disconnected for 30 min and reconnect all and reboot the laptop and see if this has reset your laptop and fixed your problem.

If not and to check your battery voltage, make sure that you fully charge the battery first with your laptop until the battery light is "Blue", then disconnect the battery from the laptop, then get a multimeter and put the negative MM prong onto the black wire inside the battery plug and the positive MM prong onto the red wire and see if you get around 19V +or- a few volts, you should not have less than 14V as then the battery doesn't hold charge and needs replacing or your laptops internal charging stage circuitries are faulty.

If there is any faults in the internal charging stage(s) inside your laptop, then your laptop needs to be disassembled and inspected by an experienced tech who has the proper tools and can diagnose the exact problem with your laptops power or charging stages, as your laptop will have burned out capacitor or a mosat or a filter chip that is causing this problem that a user like you can't fix.

• TeknoClan

Ok, so did a bit more research on this and contacted support as well. I reset the BIOS settings to default. I have fast start up enabled so that could also be a reason for the power offs. It does explain why my cpu temp is 40 C when I first turn it on. As for the battery it’s currently at 39% as I’m currently draining the battery to 0% and then charge it to 100% I’ll let if you know when it’s at 100%.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,697 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023

Ok that's good, drain the battery completely until the laptop turns off, then full charge the battery and get a multi meter (if you don't have one buy one as they are pretty heap and a very useful tool) the Innova 3320 is a good MM and very reasonably priced all rounder for computers, car and general home power measuring, that is what I have. After your battery is charged, measure if the battery charge with the MM that it has the full 19V charge or near that charge, a few volts difference is usual, as that will tell you allot about your laptops power and charge state and if you have any problems.

• TeknoClan

So I did that and it’s current at 68% when the charging Icon started flashing. I turned on my laptop and after a few minutes it randomly turned off. It then proceeded to happen 2 more times.

• TeknoClan

Hello, my laptop is currently at 62% when all of a sudden it went from battery plugged in to battery remaining. The charger was still plugged in. The charging port was flashing yellow. The lightning symbol is also there. Weirdly enough when I got the reset PC options it shows that the laptop is plugged in to a charger.

• Jameswalter
    Jameswalter Member Posts: 71 Troubleshooter

BIOS updates can also add support for other hardware upgrades, like RAM. Basically, if a newer component, whatever it might be, fits and can be installed on your computer but doesn't work properly, there's a very real chance (depending on the motherboard maker, of course) that there's a BIOS update that can fix it.

• Yes, I understand all that Jameswalter but, the Predator PH315-55 last bios version 1.08 (as in this case and on most Acer PCs are all cumulative type bios updates and contain all updated code from previous updates) for the Predator PH315-55 that TeknoClan has already done and updated to the bios version 1.08. This bios does not have any specific ram bios fixes, as he mentioned, as the version 1.08 updated the MCU which Acer could have had some ram fixes and would have updated any memory issues in 1.08 and 1.06 bios updates,

The DPTF table which is also included in bios 1.08 update, has nothing to do with memory but is a framework is used to regulate the thermal properties (i.e., temperature) of an Intel-based computer. So, there is no bios update for this laptop that will specifically fix what you are refereeing to and installing any reprogramed bios can be problematic and can brick his laptop and also needs expertise to do which we don’t recommend on this forum or are allowed to give any guides on programing a bios chip, please be aware of that😁

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TeknoClan

I did it even though it’s at 61%. The result was 16.45.