Need help with Amd Radeon rx 6400 in Acer Veriton Vx6640g

MuddLyfe1
MuddLyfe1 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have an Acer Veriton Vx6640g. I have installed 2 8gb 3200 sticks of ram, 250 gb wd ssd, and a Amd radeon rx 6400 low profile graphics card.

I am unable to detect the card nor can I install drivers but my display is working from the card.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Hi @MuddLyfe1 Windows 10 or Windows 11?

Which version?

The card is detected in the device manager?

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • MuddLyfe1

Tinkerer

@Alejandro_AC

Windows 10 and no its not detected.

• Have you tried removing the graphics card and cleaning the connectors?

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • MuddLyfe1

Tinkerer

@Alejandro_AC

Yes I have I think I might need to update bios due to compatibility issue but I'm not sure. The card is working, if I disable on board graphics, I can get video out just not detected nor can I install amd software.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

The system is likely using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers for the Radeon, which is why it's working at all. AMD says it needs a 350W PSU to run right, and yours is likely either a 90W or 135W. I wonder if not all the memory is getting turned on and that's why it's not using as much power as the requirements call for or if AMD is just being really, really cautious. You shouldn't need a BIOS update to support the card, they shipped these with both NVIDIA and AMD cards from the factory, just nothing quite that new. With it booted into Windows and running off the Radeon, what does Device Manager say? Any unknown devices? Typically you have to get up and running using the BDA, then install the drivers for the new GPU, then reboot before those drivers are recognized.

BTW the 3200 memory is still running at the 2400 speed of the motherboard, right?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MuddLyfe1

Tinkerer

No unknown devices. Not sure on what you mean by BDA. I would have to check on the ram speeds. This card is a low profile (Radeon Rx 6400 low profile) not a full size. TDP is 53 watts. Suggested Psu is 250. Currently have a 220w psu.

• billsey

BDA == Basic Display Adapter. :)

The Radeon should be showing up in Device Manager under Display Adapters.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MuddLyfe1

Tinkerer

edited February 2023
  • billsey

So bring up Properties in that PCIe upstream port, go to the Details tab and use the pulldown menu to select Hardware IDs. Give us a picture of those. The system isn't seeing your Radeon, and it coudl easily be due to that issue.

• RudySchmitz
    RudySchmitz Member Posts: 2 New User

your radeon or any other videocard will not work in your acer becouse of a bios problem. there are many people n this forum trying to add a videocard in an acer system, but the bios prevents you to switch from "on board" to "descrete" grafix. That is the root of your problem.

Ask acer for a solution.