I'm planning to upgrade my laptop's ram (8gb) and add another 8gb ram - E Series - Ram Upgrade

Options
potat0gray
potat0gray Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited February 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade my laptop's ram (8gb) and add another 8gb ram. Since this is my first time to make an upgrade for my laptop I don't know where to buy it (I'm residing here in the Philippines, btw). I tried searching already however I'm afraid that those sites I found are not legit.

Any recommendation will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,684 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,812 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

@potat0gray Kingston is fine. The specs for RAM upgrade is DDR3L-1600. If your laptop has 1TB of storage, it is likely an HDD, which is pretty slow for now. You can replace it with an SSD and replace the CD drive with a caddy bay to use the HDD.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Alejandro_AC
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Both brands are good (Kingston and Crucial), choose the one with the best price, the best shipping and allow returns in case of problems.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• Alejandro_AC
    Answer ✓
    Options

The combination of going from 8GB to 16GB and installing an SSD will bring better performance to the computer.

As for what to install first, maybe the SSD that gives general performance while the memory you will notice a little less because it will depend on the open applications.

X (Twitter)

• Alejandro_AC
    Answer ✓
    Options

That's right, in fact the Crucial is DDR3L and the Kingston DDR3, the first is L (low voltage) 1.35V compared to 1.5V for DDR3.

Both work well, but the one with the lowest voltage consumes less when we work only on batteries.

X (Twitter)

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@potat0gray you can search for it on your local online stores such as Shopee I believe. Make sure that you look up the reputation of that seller.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,500 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi,

-Can you leave us the complete model?

-The legitimate sites associated with acer are Amazon

Best Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

What is the exact model? Example AN515-55-5890.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • potat0gray

Tinkerer

edited February 2023
    Options

@IVAN_PC @egydiocoelho

Thanks for your reply, here's my laptop model - Acer Aspire E E5-471G-57N5.

Another question, my laptop is kinda slow and I'm not sure if it's because I need to upgrade my ram? Or do I need to replace it and buy a new one instead? I got this laptop since 2015 (haven't open it or check if the fan/s are dirty lol)

• potat0gray

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28 thanks for your answer! do you think Kingston is okay or should I choose another?

• Alejandro_AC
    Answer ✓
    Options

X (Twitter)

• AnhEZ28
    Answer ✓
    Options

@potat0gray Kingston is fine. The specs for RAM upgrade is DDR3L-1600. If your laptop has 1TB of storage, it is likely an HDD, which is pretty slow for now. You can replace it with an SSD and replace the CD drive with a caddy bay to use the HDD.

• Alejandro_AC
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Both brands are good (Kingston and Crucial), choose the one with the best price, the best shipping and allow returns in case of problems.

X (Twitter)

• potat0gray

Tinkerer

Options

@Alejandro_AC @AnhEZ28

Your answers really help me a lot. Would there be a difference with the performance if I just upgrade my ram first instead of doing it the same time?

• Alejandro_AC
    Answer ✓
    Options

The combination of going from 8GB to 16GB and installing an SSD will bring better performance to the computer.

As for what to install first, maybe the SSD that gives general performance while the memory you will notice a little less because it will depend on the open applications.

X (Twitter)

• potat0gray

Tinkerer

edited February 2023
    Options

I just downloaded the CPU-Z and noticed that under memory tab>general>type it says DDR3 while under SPD>Memory Slot Selection it's DDR3L. I got confused, tho I know that the main difference of the two is the voltage, does that mean that I can use either of the 2? @Alejandro_AC

• Alejandro_AC
    Answer ✓
    Options

That's right, in fact the Crucial is DDR3L and the Kingston DDR3, the first is L (low voltage) 1.35V compared to 1.5V for DDR3.

Both work well, but the one with the lowest voltage consumes less when we work only on batteries.

X (Twitter)

• potat0gray

Tinkerer

Options

Would it be an issue if I buy Kingston for the RAM and Crucial for SSD or vice versa? Or they should be the same brand? Lol

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

😄In principle it doesn't matter, although I've always had Kingston discs, but it's just a coincidence, I don't have preferences.

X (Twitter)

• potat0gray

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, I'm back. 😅

Do you think it's worth it to upgrade the RAM and SSD instead of just buying a gaming PC?

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

An increase in memory and a change to SSD disk will improve performance but to play it is not enough in my personal opinion, keep in mind that the third fundamental element to play is the graphics card and you cannot improve it.

A specific gaming PC is the best option, but also the one that costs the most money, it is something that you should consider.

X (Twitter)