Did I put too much thermal paste ? Should I try again? Or is it fine to leave it?

Maxfocht
Maxfocht Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited February 2023 in Nitro Gaming

So I just replaced my thermal paste and put a small bit on, everything said like a pea size and some said enough to spread it on the processor evenly.

I started at 30-35c but after gaming it hasn't went back down(been like an hour) to that temp is now is between 40-50c? I heard that too much can act like insulator and keep heat.

Should I try again? Or is it fine to leave it?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Maxfocht
    Maxfocht Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Also now it's steady going higher as idle goes on, should I try again? And use less then I did?

• NeoGeo
    NeoGeo Member Posts: 157 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

Too much is better then too little, as long as it isn't overflowing out of the side of the socket it should be fine.

• Napkins
    Napkins Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I currently just repasted and have the same issue, I am thinking to re-paste again, which is not fun at all.. and the question is,

do I have to clean again all the memory modules and cpu and gpu again when I try to fix my terrible repaste of the job I just did yesterday since my cpu seems hotter than it was before?

Like do I have to re-paste again after I just pasted yesterday? (clean them totall off again?

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon

Thermal paste applied too thickly actively counteracts heat transfer. Apply paste only thinly. See Internet for how to do this.

• Napkins
    Napkins Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon