Unable to boot Acer Aspire GX 781_H_WLP

Jacob355
Jacob355 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hello,

I would like to ask for some advice. I am experiencing some issues with booting my computer (Acer Aspire GX 781_H_WLP).

It started something like a year ago. After pressing the power button on my computer, it started to run, i started to hear the fans, but it suddenly stopped, lights went off, the fans stopped spinning, like it completely shut off itself. After like 5 seconds the pc came to life, booted up again, the beep was there as well, however my monitor did not respond. Like it was completely disconnected. I tried to change the output on the back of the pc, with no success. I tried to swap a monitor to my tv, with no success as well. The pc was running tho.. I could see the keyboard lights up, i can basically type my password without seeing the screen, and i hear notifications popping after signing in. I could also turn of the pc afterwards with alt+f4.

The thing that stresses me up the most tho, is that the problem fixes itself, when i plug it out of the power supply by disconnecting the power source, for maybe half an hour and try it again. The whole proccess repeats itself including the blackout of the pc, and after that the monitor lights up perfectly fine...

This issue occured to my on maybe every 5th or 6th boot up of the pc and basically vanished after two months or so.

Up until now. This time, the problem occurs to me on every single boot of the computer. And the fix is not that easy all the time. I tried to disconnect the power source, but without success. So i unscrewed my pc lid, tried to disconnect every single cabel and reconnect it back (i thought maybe there is something with that). This solved the problem last time. I am however in fear that the next time this happens, i might be unable to boot it up again.

If you have any ides on what to check, what to do, or any questions about the situation please let me know.

Thanks a lot!!!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Which GX-781 model do you have? The full model number should be on the same sticker as the serial number and will looks like GX-281-xxxx. The Aspire GX-281 models came with a bunch of different graphics options. Do you know which GPU card is installed? It sounds like there might be an issue with the GPU getting initialized at power up...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jacob355

I though that Acer Aspire GX 781_H_WLP was the model number but i guess i was wrong. I can not seem to find any other relevant information on the sticker, besides the serial number. My GPU, that came with the computer is Nvidia Geforce 980GTX.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

OK, we can come in via the back side maybe. :) With it booted into Windows bring up Device Manager and look in the Display Adapters section. You should have there for the GTX 980. Bring up Properties on that display adapter and look at the Driver tab, which version is installed? As you might surmise, I'm leaning toward the issue being with the graphics and not with the rest of the computer. If you had a failing drive it would have different symptoms, as with almost any other common failure. Your system doesn't have onboard graphics, so we can't just pull the card and try running it off the motherboard. Most of these models had one of the GTX 10x0 cards in them, not the slightly older GTX 9x0.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jacob355

I am using geforce experience, for updating my graphics card drivers, it should be up to date.

Also I tried to change the power socket, and connected my pc directly to the wall (not the extender), Currently i have not experienced any problems with booting up in the last couple of days. Probably my electricity was bad and it made my pc do weird stuff. I will update, if anything changes (hopefully not tho).

Thanks for the help billsey either way! :)