I'm trying to install a second M.2 SSD not seen in my nitro an517-51

Dranbo
Dranbo Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hello, I'm trying to install a second M.2 ssd in my nitro an517-51-56YW. I bought a WD Blu 2TB SATA SSD and installed it in the second slot but it's not showing up in BIOS (picture below)

Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• Hi,

Does it show up in Disk Management? If it is, could you please make sure that it's initialised and created a new volume.

• Dranbo
    Dranbo Member Posts: 2 New User

No, it's not showing up in disk management either.

• First try to format the WD Blu 2TB SATA SSD externally with either an external M.2 case of type M.2/USB-C or an adaptor and do a format of this drive.

Also try to fix the WD Blu 2TB SATA SSD Not Detected in Windows by doing this:

1.  Disconnect the laptops power supply.
    2.  Disassemble your laptop's shell by removing the back and the cover screws and take out the main battery.
    3.  Open M.2 slot > Slide M.2 SSD to the slot > Secure SSD with the screw.
    4. Then reboot the laptop and see if the OS recognizes the M.2 drive

If it's still not recognised in bios and disk management then go to Device Manager as it should be recognised there under Disk drives, and do this:

1. Expand Disk Drives.
    2. Right-click M.2 SSD and choose "Update Driver Software."
    3. In the update driver software window, choose "Search automatically for updated driver software."
    4. Wait until the update completes and restart your computer.
    5. if it says the best driver is installed then do the same as in 1-3 but use Browse my computer for drivers >Let me pick from a available drivers on my computer and chose Disk drive and reinstall that again and reboot laptop and see if that fixes the M.2 not being recognized.

If all the above doesn't work, then "Use Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter." as if all the above doesn't work then your M.2 slot is faulty as the M.2 can't be faulty as its brand new.

• Gana4066
    Gana4066 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

@Dranbo

Apart from the above steps, see if the below steps work

Here are the steps to install a second M.2 SSD in your Acer Nitro AN517-51-56YW:

1. Prepare the M.2 SSD: Make sure the M.2 SSD is formatted and has the necessary drivers installed. You may also need to clone your existing drive to the new SSD.
    2. Open the laptop: Turn it off, unplug it from the power source, and remove the battery. You may need to remove screws from the bottom of the computer to open it.
    3. Locate the M.2 slot: Look for the M.2 slot, which should be located near the motherboard. The location may vary depending on your Acer Nitro AN517-51-56YW model.
    4. Insert the M.2 SSD: Align the M.2 SSD with the slot and gently push it in until it clicks into place. Secure the M.2 SSD with any screws that were removed earlier.
    5. Connect the cables: Connect any necessary cables to the M.2 SSD, such as SATA and power cables.
    6. Reassemble the laptop: Close the computer and secure any screws removed earlier.
    7. Boot the laptop: Turn on the computer and enter the BIOS. You may need to press the Del key or another key (e.g., F2) to enter the BIOS.
    8. Enable AHCI mode: In the BIOS, enable AHCI mode for the M.2 SSD. This will allow the laptop to recognize the new SSD.
    9. Save and exit the BIOS: Save the changes and exit the BIOS. The laptop should now boot from the M.2 SSD.
    10. Check the new SSD: Once the laptop has booted, check that the new SSD is recognized in the operating system. You can do this by going to the Disk Management tool in Windows.

Enabling AHCI mode in the BIOS will allow the laptop to recognize and use the new M.2 SSD. AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) is a standard interface for SATA-based storage devices and is necessary for the laptop to access the full capabilities of the new SSD.

Note: Before enabling AHCI mode, ensure your laptop's operating system supports it. You may need to install the necessary drivers and change the system configuration.

I was given steps to enable AHIC.

1. Restart your laptop and repeatedly press the "Delete" key or "F2" key (depending on your laptop model) to enter the BIOS setup.
    2. Navigate to the "Advanced" or "Storage" section of the BIOS setup and look for the "SATA Configuration" or "Storage Configuration" option.
    3. Change the SATA mode from "IDE" to "AHCI." Save your changes and exit the BIOS setup.
    4. Boot into Windows and go to Device Manager. Locate the new SSD in the "Disk Drives" section and check if it's showing up correctly.
    5. If the SSD is not recognized, right-click on the "Start" button and select "Device Manager." Locate the new SSD in the "Disk Drives" section, right-click, and select "Update Driver." Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the driver installation.

Do like it if this helps.

Thanks