fps drop Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-52 The graphics seems like completely stop while run games.

Options
Pajex
Pajex Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hello everyone,  

I have a problem that I can't fix myself - I'm talking about the fps drop in my Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-52-7495. As soon as I start playing the game, fps stays fine and the fans works not even at 40% of their capabilities. When playing The Witcher 3 I have everything set to max with RT and I get 40-50 fps, and without RT I get 80 fps. After some time the fans somehow getting quiet, fps go down to 25-30 frames and they do not go any higher. When I turn off RT fps increase to 40-45 max, and changing the graphics does nothing – fps won’t go any higher. The air outlets are warm, but not hot so I put turbo mode on, which sets the fans to max, and after 5 minutes the outlets get cold, and the fps set to 20-25 frames and it started getting worse. The graphics seems like completely stop detecting that the game is running. 

Same happens with other games like Dying Light 1 or Marvel Spiderman - everything works great with 70-80 fps and after some time it gets 35-40 fps and change of graphics does nothing. The fans go silent and nothing can be done. To repair this I have to restart a laptop. I really don't know what can be cause, I've never seen anything like this. 

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

Battery must be 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting heavy gaming for maximum play time. After battery drops below about 50% charge even plugged in, battery charging takes precedent over gaming load and FPS will drop. You must then let the battery charge back up to 100% before starting heavy gaming again.

Jack E/NJ

• Pajex
    Options

Thanks for the answer. The battery is always 100% charged with the power plug connected before I start the game.

Today I updated Windows 10 to 11 with the drivers and the problem still occurs in the same way - after 30 minutes to an hour, the fps drops from 60 to 20-30 and the fans quiet down and start pulsating (they speed up and quiet down, and so on all the time).

I turn on the exact nvidia performance overlay and noticed that when fps start to drop, at the same time the cpu power decreases and its usage increases at 100%.

The temperature of the graphics is between 55 and 63 degrees Celsius maximum at this time. The average computer latency increases from 20-30ms to 110-130ms.

With a laptop, that is supposedly gaming, for this money, you can't play anything on any graphics settings.

Is there anyone in the group with the same laptop? Do you also have such problems? Can I claim my laptop for warranty?

• JackE
    edited February 2023
    Options

>>>the problem still occurs in the same way - after 30 minutes to an hour>>>

Yes, but did you check the battery charge level when it started to throttle 30 mins to an hour later!!!!

Even though the battery is plugged in and starts out at 100%, the minute you start heavy gaming load the battery must occasionally help the charger meet the power demands. At those times, the battery is discharging. Once it discharges below about the 50% charge level, throttling will start because charging the battery then takes precedent over the gaming load. Power is automatically cut to the CPU and GPU and diverted to charging the battery. It also sounds like your battery might've lost a significant amoutn its original 100% full-charge design capacity.

Try this.

(1) Search 'cmd' in Windows start menu.

(2) Right click command prompt near top of menu.

(3) Click run as administrator.

(4) Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport' at command prompt.

(5) Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer.

(6) Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser.

(7) Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity.

Jack E/NJ

• Pajex
    Options

I did as you said, I charged the laptop to 100% and started playing. Battery did not drop any %, the diode was on blue all the time and when fps started to drop I checked the charge level and it was 100%.

On the second screen I marked the current time when I started playing, the battery was 100% all the time. I disconnected the power plug and connected it again but there was no change. Fps dropped from 60 to 25-30

• JackE
    Options

>>>The air outlets are warm, but not hot so I put turbo mode on, which sets the fans to max, and after 5 minutes the outlets get cold, and the fps set to 20-25 frames and it started getting worse.>>>

What CPU & GPU temperatures does Predator Sense app detect when FPS drops?

Jack E/NJ

• Pajex
    Options

CPU and GPU temperatures are pretty much the same from start to finish. The laptop does not overheat and has a large reserve of fan speeds, because the max is over 4000 RPM.

There is a slight heat coming out of the fans, they are not hot, but as I wrote earlier, even with turbo mode when the fans are cold the fps drops after that anyway.

I decided to run the game only from the Nvidia card, bypassing the automatic graphics selection, and the game lasted longer, over an hour and a half in total, but in the end the fps dropped anyway. The fans started pulsating

so I did not reset the laptop, just turned off and on the game and everything worked again. I have no idea what's going on with the laptop. I've had this problem since the beginning, and I've only had it for a year and a half.

Another case is Predator Sense, do you have any solution to constantly changing the keyboard's led settings itself? Every time I turn on my laptop, the colors on my keyboard change randomly, which is starting to get annoying.