Aspire 3 A315-58 Laptop turning on, off on...repeat

SDLH
SDLH Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2023 in Aspire Laptops

My daughters Acer Laptop, Aspire 3, was downloading an update and for two days, was stuck at the same percentage. She turned it off, then when turning the laptop back on again, it started turning off, on, off on repeat.

I removed the battery for 10 seconds, the laptop turned back on and was fine. When restarting the computer to install the update, the computer went back into the off, on, off ....rythym again.

Any help would be appreciated on how to troubleshoot this.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023

What is the Aspire 3 exact model number and what windows update or update is causing this ON/OFF problem. As a laptop turning on and then off immediately and continually could be from many causes like power circuitry issues, screen or eDP cable issues, usb, power port shortage and charger issues and all these factors have to be checked out by an experienced technician.

By what you have stated above, it doesn't seem like the laptop has the above issues, do the hard reset again but this time disconnect the main and bios batteries and the ram also, leave all components disconnected for 5min and reconnect all components but, don't resume the windows updates or update and see if the laptop operates 100% without the ON/OFF symptoms for at least one day, if it still has those symptoms then the laptop has problems with all those issues I've mentioned above and the laptop needs to be diagnosed by an experienced technician, as a user like you can't fix these issues. If its only because of the update, then let us know which update i is, so that we can give you further advice of why this update is causing this power on problem.

• SDLH
    SDLH Member Posts: 2 New User

Model number A315-58-350L.

Windows Update is Windows 11 2022 Update, version 22H2.

Turned on just fine after taking out the battery, BIOS and ram. Will just let it sit and charge for the next 24 hours.

• Note: The Aspire A315-58-350L categorically states that it operates on Windows 11 in S mode version in its specs, which is a version of Windows 11 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing. have a look at this Microsoft article Windows 11 in S mode on an Intel or AMD processor as it explains what this version S is restricted to, as that is probably why you are getting this ON/OFF update problems with version Win-11 22H2.

You can switch Windows 11 out of S Mode by going to this Microsoft guide Snitching out of S mode in Windows and after try to install the 22H2 updates as that is probably why you are getting all these problems.

If the above doesn't fix the problem, then try the "Clean Install" of Win-11 Home as a last resort by doing this as it should fix all these problems. If the Clean Install doesn't fix your laptop, then send it back to Acer support as there are hardware issues.

1.   Before you do a Clean Install of Win-11 22H2 make sure that on another USB you have a copy of the AN515-57s "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver Version:18.6.1.1016.2" driver, for when you completely delete/format the boot drive, as you won't be able to continue the Win-11 install unless you install this driver for the boot M.2 drive to be recognized.

2.   Download the Win-11 installation .ISO file from Microsoft onto an 8GB USB and plug this USB into your laptops USB port and initiate the Win-11 installation within your windows OS. After you finish the Win-11 22H2 installation, make sure that you install all Windows Updates first.

3.   Then and this is controversial, but I've never ever had any problems, is to install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and make sure that all Intel drivers including the Intel graphics latest drivers are installed

4.   If you have any asterisk next to any drivers in Device Manager, get the obsolete drivers from the A315-58 Drivers & Manuals to fix those obsolete drivers up

5.   After all this and when your laptop is operating 100% for at least a week with no crashes, then do an update of the bios to the last bios update for the A315-58-350L. laptop, which is the bios titled 1. Recover capsule file name for fix seamless recovery fail - Version:1.31 - dated: 2022/11/10

Note: When doing a bios update, make sure that your laptop has no chance of crashing, before you do the bios update, and the laptop is prepared for a bios update properly by disabling all antivirus, malware and running software, and that the laptop is plugged into a reliable power mains source.

• 21_v3nd3tta
    21_v3nd3tta Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 2023

I have had the same problem and my solution was to take out RAM, clean it and put it back. If it doesn't help try to find somewhere an another RAM to makeep sure that RAM isn't a reason of your error.