USB 3 external HDD runs slow on my Predator Helios 300 17" (PH317-54) but only in Win11

Mikenet
Mikenet Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Predator Laptops

It may turn out that all I need to know here is how to install original Predator USB or chipset drivers rather than the ones that Windows 11 uses or learn about something I'm missing when formatting my HDD but any advice is welcome.

To explain my problem...

My new external Hard Drive is significantly slower in Windows than it is in Ubuntu (A Linux based OS). In Windows, it's also slower when copying files TO the my external HDD VS. copying OFF of the HDD for some reason. When I say slower, it's over a 150mbs difference. Ubuntu OS does fine but Windows OS wont transfer fast if I'm copying between two external HDDs or if I'm copying TO the HDD from the internal SDD. Also, only my Fantom 7200rpm external HDD is experiencing this problem and only in Windows 11. My Western Digital hard drive is consistent when used in either Ubuntu or Windows 11.

To give further details and help narrow this down...

I'm not testing my transfer speeds with a different set of files each time. I understand that small files transfer at a different rate than large ones so I use the same files to test each time.

It's not a physical hardware problem with my USB ports. The same exact USB ports work fine in Ubuntu when using the same external HDDs.

It's not a hardware problem with my new external HDD either because its new and works fine in Ubuntu.

I'd prefer not to go to the hard drive policy tab and turn on the fast transfer feature in Windows (or whatever it's called). I could risk data loss if there's a power outage because I'd have to safely disconnect each time. Besides, the HDD is capable of running faster in Windows without it given its fast in Win11 when copying TO the local SDD. Not sure why it's slow when transferring the other way. 250mbs VS 80mbs for some reason.

What the problem could be IMO...

Most likely this is a driver issue in Windows. My Predator Helios may have come with its own set of USB related drivers at some point. Perhaps in one of the Windows updates, they were replaced but I'm not sure. I cant say if the original Predator drivers would have done better because I just bought this 7200rpm drive last week. The drivers for the 2020 model of my Predator Helios also haven't been updated on the website in a long time so I'm not sure how they'd work at this point or if they'd screw something up. Any advice on good USB drivers or maybe chipset drivers that I could use are welcome. Tips on how to best install them are also welcome. Can I use drivers from newer 2022 predator laptops perhaps?

It could also be a formatting issue because sometimes different partitioning software gives different results. All my hard drives are formatted to NTFS with a 4kb cluster size but for some reason Gparted in Ubuntu made the problematic HDD run faster. The problematic HDD was running even slower before I used Gparted to create a GPT partition table. Not every partitioning software gives that option though but maybe if I could find partitioning software for Windows that can create a partitioning table the way Gparted does, I could get the external HDD to run fast in both operating systems.

Sorry for the long winded post but if anyone needs more details to help diagnose this problem, just let me know.

Answers

• Jameswalter
    Jameswalter Member Posts: 71 Troubleshooter

If you haven't run disk defragmentation for a long time, your external hard drive and hard drive could be slower than before. Thus, the first thing to do is to run disk defragmentation. Fragmentation makes your hard disk do extra work that can slow down your computer and hard drive.

• Mikenet
    Mikenet Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Unlikely, the Hard Drive is new and works at full speed in Ubuntu and at full speed in Windows, at least when I'm transfering files off of the Hard Drive. It's very strange, it just wont copy files TO the hard drive at the drives normal transfer rate. It's literally 5 times slower when trying to transfer anything to it. In Ubuntu it transfers at full speed whether I'm coping to or from the Hard Drive. I'll do a defragmentation if I have to but it's a 10tb HDD so it'd take a while. I wanted to see if there are some other posisble solutions first given it seems unlikely a fragmented hard drive would only be a problem under such special circumstances on a very new HDD.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084

@Mikenet

I understand you say "USB 3 external HDD runs slow on my Predator Helios 300 17" (PH317-54) but only in Win11"

Kindly go through the details from the link given below

Go to the website - click on the drop down of operating system

You can see only the drivers for Windows 10

I dont see the drivers for Windows 11

It clearly shows your computer is not compatible for Windows 11

In order to use the external hdd in the right way at a better performance, please go back to windows 10

https://www.acer.com/in-en/support?filter=global_download&search=PH317-54

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084

@Mikenet

Try this method..

On a different working computer. 

Go to the website 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Below the info Create Windows 10 installation media

click on download tool now.. 

It will download the windows media creation tool - click on media creation file on the lower left corner.

Insert a blank 8 gb flash drive 

it will download and install the windows 10 on the blank flash drive.. 

Now insert the flash drive on the broken computer

Tap f2 while turning on the computer

It will go to bios

Go to main

change the f12 boot menu to enabled

Go to boot tab or boot options tab

change the settings

Boot mode: UEFI

Secure boot : Enabled

F10 - Save the changes

Try f12 while turning on the computer.

It will go to boot menu

chose the usb

Boot it using flash drive..

click on install

chose custom

on where do you want to install windows screen - remove all the partitions

It will become like one single unallocated space  

There is no need to format it.. 

chose the unallocated space 

click on next 

It will install the operating system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★