Is it ok to update my IntelGraphics 630 if I already updated my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti PH315-52

jrsv
jrsv Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 2023 in Predator Laptops

I have a Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 running Windows 11. This is related to BSOD Problems I've been facing for almost a month, and possible solutions provided to me on Microsoft website. You can check my post on there here if you want more details. So they suggested me about 10 possible solutions, I've tried already the first 4 of them, #2 was:

2-Uninstall the graphics card driver completely using the DDU free tool:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-dr...

Then, install the latest driver provided on the manufacturer's website.

I did this with the NVIDIA graphics card driver because I assume this is the "main" one (I am not an expert on this matter thb). But I wonder if doing so with the Intel one is safe and if it could be relevant to my BSOD issues or if I should keep it as it is. I asked this on the Microsoft post but they did not respond. I'm reading on the Intel website that the release date of the latest driver was December 29, 2022 and my BSOD problems have been happening frequently (multiple times a day) throughout january, while the NVIDIA driver I installed recently was released about 5 days ago.

On the Inter graphic drivers website it says

If a newer graphics driver is available from Acer, we recommend you install that driver instead. To learn more about installing an Intel driver on your OEM system, refer to this article. If you encounter any issues with the Intel driver, please report them to us.

If you have a 6th Generation Intel® processor or higher, your computer manufacturer’s customizations will remain intact after upgrading to this graphics driver. To identify your Intel® Processor generation, see How to Find the Generation of Intel® Core™ Processors.

My processor is Core i7 9th gen.

Should I update the Intel graphics card driver, and do so with DDU as specified to me by the Microsoft suppor agent? Even if I already did it with NVIDIA?

Also, if it turns out that Intel graphics card has nothing to do with my problem, would it be safe to update my Bios driver too? I ask because that's one of the other options they mention on the microsoft website to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance!

[Edited the content to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,463 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Note that I did this factory reset chosing the Cloud download option and
    it automatically re-installed Windows 11 although my laptop came
    originally with 10 Home.

Glad you it sorted away. However, just wnted to let you know that the cloud download option is NOT a factory reset. A factory reset is performed by using the ALT+F10 cold boot method. This reinstalls the original ACER OEM factory version of Windows 10 that is on a hidden Windows 10 factory reset partition on your boot drive. If you ever have problems with your generic version of Windows 10, you may want to consider trying a factory OEM Windows 10 .reset. The Microsoft generic version of Win10 is not the same as the Acer OEM version of Win10

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

>>>Should I update the Intel graphics card driver, and do so with DDU as specified to me by the Microsoft suppor agent? Even if I already did it with NVIDIA? Also, if it turns out that Intel graphics card has nothing to do with my problem, would it be safe to update my Bios driver too? I ask because that's one of the other options they mention on the microsoft website to solve the problem>>>

If it was mine, and the Intel GPU seemed to be OK, then NO. Absolutely NO to the BIOS firmware due to the risk of side effects or worse. Don't try to fix what doesn't seem to be the cause of your original problem,

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023

Just additional advice to you , as I'm using this on my RTX-3050 with an Nitro AN515-56 and never had crashes, BSODs or any fps drops, and also I have used DDU uninstaller(which you need to follow DDUs exact guide and do the uninstall offline) as there is a simpler way, and that is to use the new NVIDIA graphics driver, that also have a "Clean Install" feature that uninstalls all previous NVIDIA graphics drivers, so you can use that feature also.

After you have either used DDU or the NVIDIA clean install feature, you need to install the GeForce Experience software that will in future automatically scan and notifies you of the latest and newest driver releases from NVIDIA for your GTX-1660Ti GPU Win-10 driver which is the GeForce Game Ready Driver – WHQL - Driver Version: 528.24 - Release Date: Tue Jan 24, 2023

GeForce Experience also has a great feature that also applies and includes your games (if its included in the GeForce gaming list) the NVidia ultimate settings for allot of games that NVidia has meticulously setup with this software for your gaming experience that reduces bottlenecks, freezes and fps drops.

Download GeForce Experience here Download Now and also download the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant as that is a similar Intel scan that does the same for all Intel drivers especially their graphics drivers that you should update irrespective of and if Windows keeps rolling it back to their designated version (which is really annoying and Microsoft should not be forcing a user to do) as the last Intel graphics drivers work and are the best for your CPU integrated GPU. Do all that as that will make your laptop perform at its best for gaming and will STOP all BSODs, freezes and crashes.

• JackE

>>>Should I update the Intel graphics card driver, and do so with DDU as specified to me by the Microsoft suppor agent? Even if I already did it with NVIDIA? Also, if it turns out that Intel graphics card has nothing to do with my problem, would it be safe to update my Bios driver too? I ask because that's one of the other options they mention on the microsoft website to solve the problem>>>

If it was mine, and the Intel GPU seemed to be OK, then NO. Absolutely NO to the BIOS firmware due to the risk of side effects or worse. Don't try to fix what doesn't seem to be the cause of your original problem,

Jack E/NJ

• jrsv

That is a great tip that I am taking now :), thank you! I updated the Intel Graphic driver yesterday and I did not had throughout the day BUT I just had 2 in less than half an hour. I wonder what's wrong this is getting really frustrating. The first BSOD error was something starting with "SYSTEM_" but I couldn't catch it since these always flash quickly before windows restarts. The second error was unexpected_store_exception.

Since updating both graphic drivers didn't solve my problem and the next option according to the Microsoft agent who revised my case is "6-Download then install the latest version of BIOS & Chipset drivers from the manufacturer's website." would you guys recommend doing so now that I'm still facing bsod?

They also listed these possible solutions after that:

7-Test the RAM with the free utility MemTest86, then run a full 8 pass scan to test your RAM for physical errors:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14201-memte...

8-Run the Windows Memory Diagnostic:

https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to-test-yo...

Run Hard Drive Diagnostic:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testin...

9-If you are comfortable of doing so, take all the system memory sticks out, examine them for any obvious defects, and then reseat them into the sockets. Make sure that they are seated properly in their slots. If you have multiple sticks of system memory installed and you suspect one is faulty, one thing to try is to reproduce the issue with only one stick of memory module at a time. This will help you to isolate the faulty module.

10-If the issue still persists after the steps above, enable the driver verifier and let the computer crash 3 times then disable it and share the newly created minidump file:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5470-enable...

Should I better skip the BIOS driver installation and try these other ones instead? I've been following the order of possible solutions as they listed them to me. (The original post is linked on my question message)

Thanks in advance.

• JackE

The problem is that so many things have been tried and thus the system has been changed from the original factory configuration, that it's difficult to pinpoint the cause.

If it was mine, I'd back up my personal files, and first try to run a full factory reset using the ALT+F10 cold boot method. Immediately after the reset, make sure System Protection is enabled in Control Panel's restore point app. Then test again for BSODs.

If the BSODs continues, I'd check the restore point app to see if an update might be causing the issue. If not, then decide whether or not more aggressive and riskier steps like BIOS update or opening the laptop to see if a component like a RAM modules has failed.

Jack E/NJ

• jrsv

Thank you JackE. It's been a while. However I came back to tell my experience in case it can be of help for someone else. I also wanted to thank you for your assistance.

I tried your suggestion and the BSOD returned on the 3rd day after factory reset. Note that I did this factory reset chosing the Cloud download option and it automatically re-installed Windows 11 although my laptop came originally with 10 Home.

Following your advice, the 22H2 update from Windows 11 seemed to be the cause of the bsod's, however since I am not an expert I ended up taking my laptop to a professional recently and indeed that update was causing incompatibility with the NVIDIA Drivers. My technician had already worked with several Gamer laptops facing the same problem and this was no exception. The solution was to remove Windows 11 and install Windows 10. It's been a week already working on Windows 10 Pro and I have not got any blue screen so far. I'm happy to have solved the issue, although I really liked the UI of Windows 11. Hope they can solve these errors in the future. Or is it a problem NVIDIA should take care of?

Anyways thanks a lot for your help, taking your advice gave me a better clue of what was going on before confirming with a professional in person.

Have a great day!

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Note that I did this factory reset chosing the Cloud download option and
    it automatically re-installed Windows 11 although my laptop came
    originally with 10 Home.

Glad you it sorted away. However, just wnted to let you know that the cloud download option is NOT a factory reset. A factory reset is performed by using the ALT+F10 cold boot method. This reinstalls the original ACER OEM factory version of Windows 10 that is on a hidden Windows 10 factory reset partition on your boot drive. If you ever have problems with your generic version of Windows 10, you may want to consider trying a factory OEM Windows 10 .reset. The Microsoft generic version of Win10 is not the same as the Acer OEM version of Win10

Jack E/NJ

• Pop_Rockz
    Pop_Rockz Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon

You could have easily solved your problem by creating a bootable USB drive and doing a fresh new install of Windows. Anyway if Windows 11 is the cause of BSOD, then you need to update your BIOS. Check if there are any new updates for your specific model. I have another Asus Vivobook laptop which ran hot with a fresh new install of Windows 11. Updating the BIOS solved the issue.