Acer's Aspire VX5-591G-75UK OEM Windows Vs. Generic Windows? Does it affect my laptop performance?

Options
Maro1
Maro1 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hello,

I just replace my Acer's Aspire VX5-591G-75UK hard disk so I lost the Pre-installed OEM version of Windows 10, so I installed the official generic version of Windows 10, which then I read it is not a good idea to do.

So I simply want to know what is the difference between the Pre-Installed OEM Windows and the Generic Windows?

Does it affects my laptop performance and stability? Can I install Windows 10 22H2 (as 21H2 was installed)? What about the drivers?

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Best Answer

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Maro1

Please find the difference between oem windows and generic windows

Oem windows comes from Acer. It is cheap. You can order it from Acer store. It is a pre installed software. When you buy the computer you get it as a pre -installed windows. Product key is not required. Inside the computer there is a place called storage media which is called hard disk drive. Preinstalled windows are present inside the recovery partition which is present on the hard drive. If you are going to install it again it will be getting installed through the recovery paritition present inside the hard drive. However you can also install it using the recovery media like usb flash drive or cds which you can get it from Acer store. If the recovery paritition is corrupted or not working properly then you can use the acer recovery media to reinstall windows. Once you install the operating system there is no need to install the drivers and applications separately. They are installed automatically along with the operating system. It can be installed only on the computer which is designed for.

Generic windows comes from Microsoft. It is costlier. You have to get it from Microsoft. You can get it as a disk , usb or download it through online or install it using product key. After installing the operating system you have to install the drivers and applications from Acer website. You can also run windows update to install the drivers. Generic windows can be installed on any computer.

It is not going to affect the laptop performance and stability whether you install through oem or generic windows. However i suggest you to install windows using acer recovery media.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@Maro1

Please find the difference between oem windows and generic windows

Oem windows comes from Acer. It is cheap. You can order it from Acer store. It is a pre installed software. When you buy the computer you get it as a pre -installed windows. Product key is not required. Inside the computer there is a place called storage media which is called hard disk drive. Preinstalled windows are present inside the recovery partition which is present on the hard drive. If you are going to install it again it will be getting installed through the recovery paritition present inside the hard drive. However you can also install it using the recovery media like usb flash drive or cds which you can get it from Acer store. If the recovery paritition is corrupted or not working properly then you can use the acer recovery media to reinstall windows. Once you install the operating system there is no need to install the drivers and applications separately. They are installed automatically along with the operating system. It can be installed only on the computer which is designed for.

Generic windows comes from Microsoft. It is costlier. You have to get it from Microsoft. You can get it as a disk , usb or download it through online or install it using product key. After installing the operating system you have to install the drivers and applications from Acer website. You can also run windows update to install the drivers. Generic windows can be installed on any computer.

It is not going to affect the laptop performance and stability whether you install through oem or generic windows. However i suggest you to install windows using acer recovery media.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Maro1
    Maro1 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options

@William_mk2

Thank you for your detailed answer,

Unfortunately, I do not have recovery media and the hard disk is replaced so I do not have access to the recovery partition, so I guess I am going to keep the generic version installed.

Can I install Windows 10 22H2 on Acer Aspire VX5-591G-75UK?

Thanks

• William_mk2
    Options

@Maro1

Yes. You can!!!!!!!

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Options

@Maro1

Kindly go through the details from the link given below

Your computer is compatible for Windows 10. Once the operating system is completely installed you can go to the link given below to install the drivers and applications.

https://www.acer.com/in-en/support?search=Aspire%20VX5-591G&filter=global_download&suggest=Vx5-;0

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options

The base windows is the exact same, the difference is in post customisations . Think of a clean android instal Vs something like Samsung's OneUI , both android, but one ui has tweaks and apps installed

The OEM version *should* have all the drivers required for the laptop, as well as any customised software (such as care centre, and the thing which causes a pop up when you hits caps lock) , third party things like Dolby Atmos and McAfee (or is it Norton) , and custom settings like power plans

If you install the windows version from ms , it won't have any of that so you may need to manually re install stuff, and have a few hiccups but at the end of the day it's usually the exact same