Will Windows stay activated after reinstall in Laptop ? are Do I need to buy a new product key?

Options
Avi777
Avi777 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2023 in Windows 10

I need to reinstall windows on my Acer Laptop which came with preinstalled activated Windows. So if I reinstall windows 10 on it, will it stay Activated or Do I need to buy a new product key ?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options

Your Acer laptop has digital product key that is activated automatically and its linked to your Microsoft account. Do a clean install of Windows by first installing your version of either Win-10 or 11 onto an 8GB USB drive, and then do a clean install of windows OS, as you are installing windows it will ask you for an email address linked to your Microsoft account or you can put a 25 windows key if its a new installation.

If you put your Microsoft account email that is registered with Microsoft to your laptop, after you have finished the installation of windows it will automatically register with a digital key to your email, that is a basic explanation of what happens but for a full detailed guide see Microsoft Product activation for Windows – online & support telephone numbers

• William_mk2
    Options

@Avi777

Yes it will stay activated. No need to get a product key for acer laptop or acer desktop.

However if you are installing windows on a computer where windows ( new version ) was not installed earlier and if you are trying to use the microsoft free operating system on the computer where windows was not installed earlier then you need to get a product key.

When you a buy a Acer desktop or Acer laptop windows will be pre-installed . If you try to reinstall again there is no need to use a product key. The motherboard already knows that windows is installed on this computer.

When you buy a windows operating system from microsoft they will provide you a product key.

When you buy a new Acer laptop operating system is already preinstalled on it. It doesnt ask for a product key if you are going to reinstall it again. It stays activated.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options

If you did not upgrade windows version, like from home to pro, you are good. The version you got when you purchased laptop will persist.

But if you upgraded, it would revert to the originally installed version and you would need to upgrade it again.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045