Uneven illumination Is this a manufacturing defect or is it just a feature of the backlight?

Options
Andrew_Sn
Andrew_Sn Member Posts: 146 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited January 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hello. I have uneven backlighting under some keys. Is this a manufacturing defect or is it just a feature of the backlight?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The keyboard LEDs are point light sources under translucent, not luminescent, plastic keycovers. So slight variations in thickness of molded keycovers causes these slight light variations passing through them. Mine are the same way shown below. Normal. Maybe someday a luminescent keyboard will be offered with even lighting for a hefty price premium. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Andrew_Sn
    Answer ✓
    Options

Probably not, it doesn't bother me that much, and besides, I've been using it for 8 months. It's only noticeable on a few keys.

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

The keyboard LEDs are point light sources under translucent, not luminescent, plastic keycovers. So slight variations in thickness of molded keycovers causes these slight light variations passing through them. Mine are the same way shown below. Normal. Maybe someday a luminescent keyboard will be offered with even lighting for a hefty price premium. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Andrew_Sn
    Options

I hope so, it looks like the corner of the key is not lit, I would like to see uniform backlighting on all keys.

• Andrew_Sn
    Options

Do you also have acer nitro 5?

• JackE
    Options

Yes. The image I posted are its gaming keys. Translucent lighting usually seems less even than luminescent lighting. The nitro doesn't have luminescent keycovers. Sorry. If you find this unacceptable, I suggest that you return the laptop to the vendor for a refund before the vendor's return merchandise authorization (RMA) period ends. Usually only a few weeks. This probably would not be considered a manufacturing defect that is covered by the warranty though you can certainly try to have the keyboard replaced.

Jack E/NJ

• Andrew_Sn
    Answer ✓
    Options

Probably not, it doesn't bother me that much, and besides, I've been using it for 8 months. It's only noticeable on a few keys.