Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57- Issues with installing second SDD

SarahUK
SarahUK Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Bought a 1TB SDD to go in slot two. Installed fine, using the harness and screws provided. Booted into BIOS, sees original, plus new drive. Great,

However, when I have powered up and logged in, Windows 11 isn't seeing the new drive.

Closed down and checked BIO again and it isn't visible in BIOS now either!

Removed SDD and installed again. Still won't see in BIOS nor in Windows.

My husband is a hardware engineer and so it should all be working fine. Any ideas?

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,102 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Could you please post the Disk Management picture like the section shown in my picture while the second SSD is installed.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Just as additional suggestion to you, as I've had the same problem with the previous Nitro model AN515-56 which is the same laptop. I tried to connect a 2.5" HDD internally on a AN515-56 which is the same. The SATA motherboard plug on these laptops are very hard to connect to and do not have a very good locking pin of their FFC plug to secure the flat cable of the 2.5" drive. It's no wonder that your 2.5" drive has problems, as in my case with a brand new 2.5" Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive, I couldn't connect this to my laptop whatever I did, as whenever I thought that I connected the flat cable of the HDD it wasn't and the laptop would not boot and was completely dead, I did this about 10 times until I gave up as it was useless to continue, as the SATA mobo plug became faulty and I also lost a few contact strands on the flat cable which made it unworkable so I just gave up. I did purchase another same part # cable but that cable didn't work either as it was too thick and didn't fit into the plug and didn't work, so that is where I am at, as I just can't figure out why Acer had to change a great working SATA mobo plug like they had before with such an unworkable one?

Fortunately, I had a spare external 2.5" SATA/USB 3.0 cable enclosure that I put the 2TB HDD into and then I formatted it to GUID (GPT) to allow me to use this drive as a very handy and cheap slave/backup drive externally, which is allot easier.

Also, and as a performance upgrade, I suggest that you upgrade the M.2 oem boot to a top speed and more capacity PCIe 3 x4 drive like I did to a 1TB WD SN750 Black and changed the oem 512GB WD SN530 M.2 boot drive into M.2 slot #2 of the laptop as a slave drive. All this works perfectly as I've got 1.5TB internal M.2 PCIe 3 x4 drives that the boot drive is very quick and its read/write speeds are the best that a PCIe 3 x4 can have.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Could you please post the Disk Management picture like the section shown in my picture while the second SSD is installed.

• SarahUK

Tinkerer

Doesn't show it at all. Like I said in original post it showed in BIOS but not in Windows. Rebooted, checked BIOS no longer showing. All I know in addition is I got a pop up when I logged in asking if to allow/deny Intel Arc Control of hard disk.

• brummyfan2

Try reinstalling the SSD, remove it, wipe the pins with a soft cloth without applying pressure on the pins, reinsert and see whether it gets recognized, post the make and model of the SSD as well.

• SarahUK

Tinkerer

Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD - Up to 540MB/s - CT1000BX500SSD1

I bought it from Amazon and was delivered today.

My husband will try what you suggest when he gets home

• brummyfan2

OK, also check the SSD in another PC/Laptop as well, it could be a faulty SSD as well (DOA).

• SarahUK

Tinkerer

We're going to give it a go tomorrow. Rather than dismantling two laptops, he thinks we should have an external caddy in his drawerfuls of obsolete chargers, keyboards, assorted network cables, aging laptops in various states of assembly... The joys of being married to a retired hardware engineer... 😆

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓

Just as additional suggestion to you, as I've had the same problem with the previous Nitro model AN515-56 which is the same laptop. I tried to connect a 2.5" HDD internally on a AN515-56 which is the same. The SATA motherboard plug on these laptops are very hard to connect to and do not have a very good locking pin of their FFC plug to secure the flat cable of the 2.5" drive. It's no wonder that your 2.5" drive has problems, as in my case with a brand new 2.5" Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive, I couldn't connect this to my laptop whatever I did, as whenever I thought that I connected the flat cable of the HDD it wasn't and the laptop would not boot and was completely dead, I did this about 10 times until I gave up as it was useless to continue, as the SATA mobo plug became faulty and I also lost a few contact strands on the flat cable which made it unworkable so I just gave up. I did purchase another same part # cable but that cable didn't work either as it was too thick and didn't fit into the plug and didn't work, so that is where I am at, as I just can't figure out why Acer had to change a great working SATA mobo plug like they had before with such an unworkable one?

Fortunately, I had a spare external 2.5" SATA/USB 3.0 cable enclosure that I put the 2TB HDD into and then I formatted it to GUID (GPT) to allow me to use this drive as a very handy and cheap slave/backup drive externally, which is allot easier.

Also, and as a performance upgrade, I suggest that you upgrade the M.2 oem boot to a top speed and more capacity PCIe 3 x4 drive like I did to a 1TB WD SN750 Black and changed the oem 512GB WD SN530 M.2 boot drive into M.2 slot #2 of the laptop as a slave drive. All this works perfectly as I've got 1.5TB internal M.2 PCIe 3 x4 drives that the boot drive is very quick and its read/write speeds are the best that a PCIe 3 x4 can have.

• SarahUK

Tinkerer

Thanks to @brummyfan2 and @StevenGen for your assistance!

I screenshotted both replies for my husband to see when he got up this morning and it would seem that the SDD is fine, the plug was difficult to get seated securely but it's in now and a bit of electrical tape is making sure it stays in place. I can see it under disk management too, so all is good! I'll likely upgrade the OEM drive at some point so I am sure all this information will be of great use at some point in the future.

Thanks for your help guys!