Poor graphics performance on Acer Nitro AN515-57-513J

Options
MeatPowder
MeatPowder Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 2023 in Nitro Gaming

Hi, I recently bought an Acer Nitro AN515-57-513J about a month ago, but since I first booted and installed some games I noticed that the performance is not as expected. I have another 4 year old gaming laptop with an GTX 1050 with an Intel Core I5 and to be honest, both laptops seem to be running the same fps. I have tried Rainbow Six: Siege with low settings and I literally cannot get more fps than my other 4 year old Laptop, I have tried everything since I first game on it and nothing seems to change. There is something weird too, that’s the fact that no matter what graphic quality I choose in any game, I get the same fps, and sometimes is even worse to lower the graphic settings.

Please guys, do not send me this link, it doesn’t seem to be helping the people with similar situations as mine.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I have tried everything since I first game on it and nothing seems to change.>>>

Well, I guess if you've tried everything, you should give up and return the the laptop to the vendor as defective for a refund or exchange. Unless of course, there may be thi ngs missing from the list of everything that you put together.

For example, does your list of everything include opening Control Panel.? Then search 'power'. Then click 'edit power plan' in left pane. Then click 'change advanced power settings' in lower pane. Then expand processor management state. Then expand max processor state subfolder. And set to 90-100% are on both battery alone and plugged in.

Jack E/NJ

• MeatPowder
    Options

Hi, JackE.

Well, I’m hoping that I’m missing something that could get my machine running as it should, because it is a bit tedious to return the laptop here in my country.

And yes, I have done that, in fact I have minimum and maximum processor state at 100% when plugged and it does nothing to the performance in games.

There is something I have noticed these days, and it’s the fact that my GPU doesn’t reach 100% load.

• JackE
    Options

>>>it is a bit tedious to return the laptop here in my country>>>

It's a bit tedious in every country! 🙄

What temperatures are you seeing?

Jack E/NJ

• MeatPowder
    Options

I just ran Fallout 76 in medium graphic settings with Coolbost and Nitrosense shows me 72°C with 50% usage for the GPU and 86°C on the CPU with 6% of usage and I’m getting around 56 fps on the game.

Thx for the quick answer Jack. And yeah it’s is everywhere, specially because they tell the people to leave the pc to be diagnosed for like 20 days to receive a response.

• JackE
    Options

>>>86°C on the CPU with 6% of usage and I’m getting around 56 fps on the game.>>>

86*C is too high at only 6% CPU usage. 72*C seems OK for GPU under those loads. The side-mounted fan compartment heat exchangers suggest sealed liquid (not air) cooling tubes are being used to cool the CPU & GPU heat sinks. Thus I fear the thermal module assembly may have lost coolant in the CPU tubes.

Sorry. I think you should first try to get a refund or exchange from the vendor due to a failed thermal module. The part no is either 24.QCCN2.001 or 24.QCCN2.002 depending on which nvidia chip you have. Both list for about $100usd. This would likely be a lot faster than trying to get it fixed by an authorized Acer service center under warranty unless you can carry it in to a service center.

Jack E/NJ

• MeatPowder
    Options

Is there any sign that I can see on the inside of the laptop to check that it has lost the coolant? I mean, is there any physical way to check it? :(

• JackE
    Options

You've already got the sign without even looking inside. To go any deeper by disassembling the unit will risk voiding the warranty altogether. The only practical way that I know to physically determine a coolant leak with this type of portless sealed thermal module is by removing it and comparing its weight with a known-good module.

Sorry, I think the only practical ways to try to resolve the issue is gonna be a hassle one way or another no matter where you live. The least hassle probably would be if your vendor agreed to an exchange due to a likely-defective thermal module. So I'd try to get that first. Then go from there.

Jack E/NJ

• imdavid
    imdavid Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

It's definitely disappointing when a new gaming device doesn't meet expectations. Comparing it to your older laptop with a GTX 1050 and Intel Core i5, and finding similar FPS despite the hardware difference, is puzzling.

First off, make sure your Nitro laptop is running on high-performance mode and not power-saving mode, as this can significantly impact gaming performance. Also, ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can often lead to subpar performance.

Regarding the issue of consistent FPS regardless of graphic settings, it could indicate a potential bottleneck elsewhere, like the CPU or RAM. Check if any background applications are consuming resources or if there's thermal throttling causing the performance dip.