Switch Alpha12Can not report safety concern to Acer for out of warranty device with inflated battery

Options
bluewanderer
bluewanderer Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Switch Series

Is there a way to contact Acer support to let them know of a safety concern when your device is out of warranty?

I have a few Switch Alpha 12 devices. One of them had its batteries inflate and destroy the tablet. It is well out of warranty, and I have definitely gotten my moneys worth out of this device. However I am a bit concerned, since the device was being used every day quietly sitting on a shelf I wanted to report that there may be a long term safety issue with the batteries. The device was still running, with several sharp pieces broken off, ready to pierce the pressurized batteries.

I also want to know if I should worry about the others. I see a few other mentions of Acer batteries inflating on this forum.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• bluewanderer

Tinkerer

Options

After a better web search it seems like a lot of these batteries bulge but few if any catch fire.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Most users who got one of the batch of batteries that had the issue have replaced them long ago. I replaced mine after about 2 years because it was bulging and haven't see the issue since.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Leeham
    Leeham Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I too have a switch with a recently swollen battery that I purchased new on 10/22/2016. (I have the receipt.) My battery was not replaced long ago because it just began to bulge. The switch has been gently used at my home evenings for business apps like Quicken, Word and Excel and the occasional you tube video. It wasn't carried around in the car or used for gaming. Other than the battery, it performs and looks like new. The battery swell has now caused the screen to lift off the chassis, but it didn't crack. I've typically unplugged the computer if I wasn't using it, so that's probably why it didn't swell earlier. Will Acer send me a replacement battery?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Those replacement batteries aren't too expensive, at this age you are unlikely to get a replacement under warranty. I replaced mine several years ago with one I got on Amazon.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bluewanderer

Tinkerer

Options

I would be shocked if Acer gave you a replacement battery for a tablet 5 years out of warranty.

To replace the battery you need about $30 worth of specialty tools and the correct battery. If you have the tools and want to learn how electronics like this work it could be a fun project. The batteries for devices like these are usually pretty inexpensive.

However, success is not guaranteed. When I tried to remove the screen on mine a tiny crack grew to make the device unusable. I only recommend trying to fix this if you enjoy projects like this and can live with failure.