Veriton M4650G Motherboard Specs/Capabilities?

Draeag
Draeag Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Just bought a used Acer Veriton M4650G and I'm trying to get info on what the motherboard can support.

System:

Model: VM5E1

Motherboard: B25H4-AM

Processor: I5-6500

PSU : FSP500-50AAGA

Any details would be great but specifically I'm wondering about:

1) M.2 Compatibilities - What will work, what is the best option? (I've seen a M4650G Benchmark using a Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 and a YouTube build using a Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD M.2 on a 4660G, but other info indicates it's not compatible with NVMe?)

2) CPU Upgrades - Will this motherboard take a 7th Gen i7 or i9?

3) Ram - Does it support up to DDR-3200? Limit is 64 gb?

4) In general, any problems with heat in these cases when adding video cards?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Answers

• Your Veriton M6550G 6th Gen Intel version desktop can be upgraded to the following higher specs below,

1. CPU - upgrade to the Core i7-6700T (4 core/8threads/normal freq 2.8 GHz to turbo freq 3.6 GHz/L3 cache 8MB/35wTDP as this cpu is 98% upgradable and this cpu has a 40% increase in relative performance over the I5-6500, this cpu will also run cooler than the I5-6500 as its TDP is at 35W and the i5-6500 has TDP of 65W. I would also advise to upgrade the cpu cooler from the oem cooer to a better-quality branded cooler like a Noctua or a Cooler Master Socket 1151 type cooler.
    2. SSDs - your 6th gen Veriton has no specs for an M.2 drive and is only suggested with a 2.5" SATA 3 SSD 6GB/s max speed, check your mobo for an M.2 key as the specs for your 6th Gen socket 1151 there is M.2 SSD upgrades. Even the Veriton M4650G MT/SFF 7th Gen model has no M.2 SDD.
    3. RAM - 64GB total max into its 4x UDIMMs slots at max 2x 32GB kits @ DDR4-3200 • CL=22 • NON-ECC • UDIMM • 288-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8/1Rx8 • PC4-25600 - that will run in Dual Channel.

You also need to make sure that ypu have ythe last bios update and all win-10 updates and all Intel drivers up to date and it would be also an advantage to install a gpu card that can run on this desktops oem PSU of 300W as that will improve the performance of this desktop considreably will all the upgrades above.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@Draeag

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@Draeag

Kindly go through the details captured from service manual designed for your computer.

Picture 1

Pict 2

Pict 3

Pict 4

Pict 5

Pict 6

Pict 7

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Draeag
    Draeag Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for all the answers!

Assumed Summary (for me and others interested):

1. M.2 Compatibilities - The motherboard has and documentation indicates support for a M.2 PCIe 2280 SSD. Physical inspection of the port appears to be an M-key. The Intel 200 chipset is PCIe 3 compatible. With this I am assuming a M.2 NVMe 2280 PCIe Gen 3 or 4 SSD should work (with the understanding that Gen 4 is backwards compatible). Will most likely buy an NVMe and hope for the best.
    2. CPU Compatibilities - Documentation states it "accommodates" SKL-S / KBL-S processors which are Skylake (6th gen) and Kaby Lake (7th gen) processors with or without integrated graphics. With this in mind I'll keep an eye out for an i7-7700K in the future but feels like a big gamble.
    3. Memory - This one feels the most sure. 2400 MHz DDR4, up to 16 GB per slot for a total of 64 GB. I have 4 x 8 GB DDR4 2666 installed and working but have not tested if the 2666 will run beyond 2400 yet.
    4. Any heat issues? Unknown at this point. I'll most likely be using a RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC card in unless I find a deal on something newer. I'll add a case fan and watch for CPU cooler deals for optimization. Will report if there's heating issues.

Disclaimer: As I haven't found any verified/real world examples with any of the findings on this specific motherboard (B25H4-AM) I can only assume. I don't know how far Acer has strayed from the B250 chipset or what the BIOS has been programmed to use/work with.

Anyone's comments that has tried any of this on the same system/motherboard would be extremely helpful before I start spending. 😀

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Yes, spec says you can use an Intel Optane card in that M.2 slot, so that means NVMe is supported. The block diagram shows four PCIe channels to the slot, so x4 is supported. I'd stay away from the K series chips, the BIOS doesn't have overclocking features in it and they have a much higher TDP so would require better cooling than any of the stock CPUs. I don't see alternate BIOS versions for the model so don't believe it's actually a 6th gen motherboard, the FRU list has a 7th gen listed. Memory speed is correct, the chipset is running it at 2400 and that's all that's supported, but 2666 memory will down-clock to meet those speeds. Heat issues should be an issue unless you try to run something like the K chip. You are good with any of the 65W chips without modifications.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ncix1
    ncix1 Member Posts: 2 New User

Just put an I7-7700 in a freebie (thank goodness) only clocks to a 38x multiplier. Swapped in and out 2 different chips and they both clock to 42X in an HP. System has the 500 watt psu. Flashed to the latest bios. Tried putting in older version of XTU, no avail. Ended up with a Crucial P5 in the m2 slot (PCI express 4) , clocks okay on reads 3,200 writes are under 1,000 as per LINUX (dual boot). Kept the original 1 terabyte hdd for storage as it clocks fairly well for a hdd. Also, using a SANDISK 240g for Linux Mint (Vera) No luck getting memory above 2400.

If anyone has any ideas how to get to 42x let me know. I haven't checked out Wim's yet. Is it still around?

• ncix1
    ncix1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2023

Got off my lazy "acer" and re-flashed the bios with the I7-7700 in. 42X is working...CPU-z 2395-2411multi & 483-496 single. Still tweaking voltages and durations with XTU (older version 6.5.2.40). Gotta see 500+.

Still no luck with more than 2400 on memory. Not sure that one is possible.

P.S. Win11 pro went in with rufus no problems from active Win10 enviroment.