Help!! New SSD not visible in BIOS, unable to set boot preference on Acer Aspire E15

torquehead
torquehead Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hi guys, I recently upgraded my old laptop with a new SSD. But I am facing some problems.

After I installed Windows on the new SSD, I placed the previously installed HDD in a caddy and put it in my CD drive slot.

Now in my bios, only my HDD is visible when both my SSD and old HDD are present. But in the device manager, both are visible.

But in device manager both are visible

The moment I remove my HDD caddy and open my bios, it shows my new SSD, but HDD is written in front of it. Due to this, I am not even able to change the boot preference in the BIOS.

I have installed Windows on a new SSD and completely formatted the old HDD. I haven't even allocated space in HDD yet still my laptop fails to recognise my SSD. Please refer to the pictures for more clarity on the problem I am facing

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084

@maxmarrie

Try to insert the ssd and hdd in a different slot and check. Please check whether you purchased the compatible ssd for your computer

Kindly go through the details from the link given below

https://www.makeuseof.com/6-ways-to-fix-the-ssd-not-recognized-error-in-windows-10/

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below. The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below. There is an option to "start your scan " and " select your computer " . Please chose the options and try it. It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's.  You can check the compatibility of SSD that you can use on your computer.

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide. We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options. You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.      

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,998 Pathfinder

@torquehead and @maxmarrie

If you did not yet change your external HDD drive letter to d: or e: windows will be unable to detect the internal SSD if you had that also formatted to c:/

You cannot have two c: drives. To change the external c: HDD go to Disk Manager, select the external drive and change the letter to d: or e: (right click for the context menu), reboot and you should be OK.

Question😉: why did you not simply back-up your HDD to a third drive (external HDD or SSD) to restore your original disk to the new SSD? This can be done with Windows7 backup "Create an image file" that option is present in Windows10 and 11 or download freeware EaseUS Todo that does the same job, both methods will require a USB Recovery (flash) of 20GB drive formatted as Fat32, Both Windows (7Backup) and EaseUS programs will let you create this recovery USB disk. If you want to move to a newer Windows version afterwards you can do that without reformatting your drive or losing your files (Acer drivers!).